Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2016, 03:48 PM

Default Harvard Sentences

http://gizmodo.com/the-harvard-sente...ent-1689793568
Focusrite Clarett+2
JBL LSR-305
Auratone SSC 5C
Soundminer v5 Pro
Old 01-20-2016, 04:35 PM

Default Re: Harvard Sentences

That was an interesting read. Thanks!
Old 01-21-2016, 04:34 AM

What? No "check one-two" "hey hey, hey hey" ?

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 01-22-2016, 08:10 AM

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. As it happens, my Masters degree is in Clinical Audiology, and I worked in that field for a few years, testing hearing, fitting hearing aids, that sort of thing. It was all about speech discrimination. In Grad school, we used the Harvard sentences among other tools in hearing tests of various sorts. At the time, the main goal of hearing enhancement through hearing aids was the ability to understand speech.

Even with today's digital technology with cochlear implants, that is the main focus. Unfortunately, that leaves a broad range of frequencies out of the picture, so listening to music, for example, can be a very frustrating experience. But the enhancement of understanding speech lives on, thanks to a lot of the early pioneer research in places like the HPAL.

I had the privilege of studying with Dr. John W. Black, who most consider to be the Father of Speech Science. Indeed, Speech Science became an academic discipline largely because of him. He graciously agreed to serve as one of the advisers for my Masters thesis. I recall many discussions, readings and papers on the very topic of speech discrimination and reading about the work at HPAL. Black himself was a researcher with the US military in communications. Many of the standardized phrases the military uses (ie "roger wilco") came about largely from Black's research on intelligibility of speech across electronic communications systems.

Its a fascinating area of study to be sure.

Old 01-22-2016, 03:39 PM

Wow. I loved this article.
I am the main songwriter/performer for Midwest Whitetail, Cabela's Deer Nation, Spring Thunder, and Northern Waters Series!
Old 01-22-2016, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
Thanks for the trip down memory lane. As it happens, my Masters degree is in Clinical Audiology
That's really interesting, does your knowledge of clinical audiology inform your production and/or purchases? I'd imagine you at least have an edge when it comes to picking IEMs and headphones...
Old 01-23-2016, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
Many of the standardized phrases the military uses (ie "roger wilco") came about largely from Black's research on intelligibility of speech across electronic communications systems.
Very interesting.
I guess, that is why in the Air Force the official way is to say "affirm" on radio and not "affirmative", because when hearing only "....tive" it could be interpreted as "negative" (a possible lethal mistake).
Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060
Old 01-23-2016, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
That's really interesting, does your knowledge of clinical audiology inform your production and/or purchases? I'd imagine you at least have an edge when it comes to picking IEMs and headphones...
Oh yes, of course it does. I used to run frequency and formant analysis all the time on different hearing aids of the time. If someone brought in a hearing aid for repair, the first thing we'd do is run a freq analysis to and compare to the specs to see if anything had changed. So, yes, all that comes into play when I look at a spectral analysis plugin on a mix or using a multiband filter like Blue Cat MB7. Doesn't mean I'm an ace audio engineer, though. There's the science and then there's the art!

Old 01-23-2016, 10:41 AM

In 1965 I took a class in music psychology that has been very useful. It was taught entirely from free Bell Labs publications because there were no books available that weren't 90% BS. Audio is not exactly a well researched science outside of communications.
Old 01-23-2016, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
...Bell Labs....
Hear hear Bob!!

From the dB itself to the transistor, the audio world (world in general for that matter) owes a lot to the people of Bell Labs.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.