Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 12-19-2007, 12:08 AM

Default Pro Tools -SLOW MOTION?! plz help

Hey everyone,

I am working with pt 7.3.1
and for some reason at times when I have a file up
and running, editing the heck out of it, it starts
going in slow motion, the cursor, and the numbers
on the track just start moving at zero speed, and
the music cuts out.
Am I doing something wrong? Do I have TOO many plug-ins open?!

I have a core 2 quad, 4 gigs of ram, I dont know if its a setting
issue or this is just Pro Tools and im just analyzing too much.

p.s. the problem goes away after I close pt and re-open it.
so whats going on?!?!? anyone?!??
Old 12-19-2007, 08:38 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools -SLOW MOTION?! plz help

Quote:
Am I doing something wrong?
Can't really tell you until you tell us exactly what it is you are doing.
Quote:
Do I have TOO many plug-ins open?!
I don't know; how many plugins are you using? What are they? how are you using them?

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 12-19-2007, 09:35 AM

Basically I have about 9 tracks,
on 3 of them I have guitar rig on each,
I have an AUX Comp that I have bussed all my tracks to.
And Wave's "Enigma" on one of the tracks...
Old 12-19-2007, 10:00 AM

Quote:
on 3 of them I have guitar rig on each,
Woah, woah, woah... you can stop right there.

Guitar Rig (or any amplifier simulator) is an extreme CPU hog. Even just one instance will drain your computer of most of it's power, and you're using 3?

Most times it is recommended and preferable to "print" guitar tracks that use amp simulators.

Here's my typical method for using amp simulators, maybe you will find it useful. My personal preference is Amplitube, so I use that in my description. Just replace "Amplitube" with "Guitar Rig" whenever I mention it as the same procedure applies;
  • Create two audio tracks
  • label one Guitar DI, and label the other Guitar Print (labeling is at your discretion, just make sure you can tell the two tracks apart, and that they are somehow linked to each other name-wise).
  • set the input of the track labeled Guitar DI to the input where you have your guitar plugged in
  • set the output of the track labeled Guitar DI to an available bus
  • set the input of the track labeled Guitar Print to be the same bus
  • Insert Amplitube(or GR in your case) on the Guitar DI track
  • record arm both tracks
  • record your parts
  • disable and hide the track labeled Guitar DI
Now you have an audio track with the printed output from amplitube (or GR in your case), and you still have the original DI from the guitar. If you ever want to change the tone, you activate the Guitar DI track, change the tone, record arm only the Guitar Print track, and press record. Then deactivate the DI track again, and you're all set. When the DI tracks are deactivated, so are the amplitube (or GR in your case) plugins on them, so they use no CPU, and you still have the printed tracks as audio tracks in the session.

Keep in mind that when using this method, you must be in record mode to monitor your input, and you must be in the proper monitoring mode (Input Only) if you want to monitor the incoming signal continuously.

Also, which numeric versions of these plugins are you using? Are you sure they are up to date and compatible? If you could, please post a plugin list using the utility in the Tech Support Folder, That help us identify if the plugin versions might be causing your problem.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Old 12-19-2007, 10:45 PM

Ok that helps a lot...

I guess I was under the impression that if im running on a quade core then I would not have any problems.

Should this be applied to midi tracks as well?!? Like Trilogy or Batery?!??!
Old 12-20-2007, 05:51 AM

Quote:
I guess I was under the impression that if im running on a quade core then I would not have any problems.
You were definitely under the wrong impression.
Quote:
Should this be applied to midi tracks as well?!? Like Trilogy or Batery?!??!
It really depends on the plugin, and how much CPU power it uses. As I mentioned, amp simulators are CPU hogs.

Some Virtual instrument plugins will tax your system, most will not. XPand, for instance, is really light on the CPU usage. You can put a ton of them in a session and still not max things out.

Most sampler plugins (like Battery) will require more memory to run depending on how heavy a sample load you put on it. It also really depends on which version of Battery you are talking about.

Trilogy can sometimes carry a heavy load, but not usually enough to bring a modern PC to it's knees. And you really wouldn't be using more than one of them in a session at a time.