Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2010, 06:48 PM

Default Dynamic EQ questions.

Can anyone recommend a great dynamic eq/multi-band compressor for venue? I suppose McDsp might get the most recommendations here. But let me describe my need...

I have a room that gives me back +12db of around 2k-4k at program material volumes. Bright female vocals are a real pain. They get really bright, but if I darken them, they unintelligible during softer sections. I need control that range dynamically, and I need to do it on at least 8 channels. So I need a multiband that is fairly efficient, and one that also has very good visual feedback. I also need something with thresholds... not something dictated by input level. I've been using the side chain function of the on-board EQ, to let my compressors get triggered from the 2k-4k range, and it certainly is helpful. But not quite as good as being able to compress that band individually.

The De-esser/Dynamic III plugin works fairly well for this, but unfortunately it spits out weird high end some times. Even when i am only doing a few db of compression, and the plugin is not clipping in or out. It just seems like an unreliable plugin.

Any advice is appreciated.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:21 PM

Default Re: Dynamic EQ questions.

Hi Josh,

You can try demo's of a couple of the plugs listed in the Venue section of the Digi website, they usually last at least 10 days. Some people use the Rane stuff, some the Drawmer, and many the McDSP. We use the McDSP MC2000 MC4, works well for us. Give them all a shot and decide for yourself. Keep in mind that every plug does have its own sound and just like hardware gear they will affect individual voices differently.

Good luck,

Erik
Old 02-13-2010, 07:23 PM

Just my 2 cents but dynamic EQ is not how I would fix a bad sounding room/system. I would work out the system problems at the speakers, the crossover, then with EQ before trying to put a band-aid on a bleeder. Now dynamic EQ on a channel or two can work wonders(but it can also dig a great big hole pretty quick). Maybe more info on the situation would allow for better advice?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-14-2010, 06:55 AM

Thanks for the advice. Fear not, the speaker processor is doing the proper room correction. But a multi-band on a few vocal channels will help, in addition to the speaker processor. An LR EQ can't always completely fix a room though. Especially one as difficult as mine. It certainly helps, but when program material calls for bright, loud, female vocals... things get tricky. A bit of dynamic EQ will do wonders to keep the vocals from being able to hit the room really hard in the 2-4 range.

I'm not worried about digging a hole. I'm very comfortable with multi-band compression... Just haven't used it live yet. I think I attempted to demo the MC2000 a while back, and had some trouble. I'll give it another try.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:36 AM

By the way... I forgot to ask this is my original post. Maybe Sheldon will have to answer this.

When using the side chain function with the on-board compressor, is the full range of signal compressed, or only the key range? I assumed the full range of the signal would be compressed, and that the filters only determined the range that triggered the compression. However, I have been using the side chain lately, and it has been sounding surprisingly transparent, even at 15db+ of compression.

I couldn't find the answer to this question in the manual.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshRose View Post
By the way... I forgot to ask this is my original post. Maybe Sheldon will have to answer this.

When using the side chain function with the on-board compressor, is the full range of signal compressed, or only the key range? I assumed the full range of the signal would be compressed, and that the filters only determined the range that triggered the compression. However, I have been using the side chain lately, and it has been sounding surprisingly transparent, even at 15db+ of compression.

I couldn't find the answer to this question in the manual.
This is how a sidechain for a typical compressor or gate functions.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:16 AM

yeah. That's why I initially assumed that was the case with VENUE. I never would have even brought it up, but I had a mic today that was fluctuating between 0 and 15 db of compression, and it sounded really transparent! I was thinking... it can't possibly be doing 15db of full range compression and sound this transparent.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:49 AM
Avid

Hi Josh,

Quote:
When using the side chain function with the on-board compressor, is the full range of signal compressed, or only the key range? I assumed the full range of the signal would be compressed, and that the filters only determined the range that triggered the compression.
You have it right. The sidechain (key) signal passes through the filters, which can be used to tailor the range of frequencies that trigger compression. The compression itself occurs on the full range signal.

Sheldon
Old 02-14-2010, 05:20 PM

I'm still a big fan of the dynamic EQ on the Rane Dynamics plugin from Serato. Unlike most plugins out there, it's not threshold based in a traditional de-esser/multi-band compressor sense. Instead the plugin looks at your key frequency relative to the overall bandwidth of your signal instead of waiting for your signal level at a key frequency to reach a certain threshold.

But for what you're trying to do, you might be better off with a more traditional multi-band comp like the MC2000 so that it only kicks in when you get to a specific threshold.

Dave
Old 02-15-2010, 08:34 AM

Ah, that's good to know. I'd definitely prefer a typical threshold in this situation.

I'm gonna be demoing MC2000 in a few minutes, so hopefully it works out.