Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems

Old 04-14-2009, 12:46 PM

Default A few suggestions for remote mixing functionality...

I run FOH at a house of worship. For the last 4 months, I have been mixing remotely from my laptop, as the console position is a poor listening position. This past weekend was my first time running a large production from my laptop. I just have a few suggestions for the digi live team that might improve this experience.

I would greatly like to see the "Notes" section in the snapshots tab upgraded to hold more text. Even to the point of adding a scroll bar to the window. Even with the window expanded I can only fit a few sentences. A few extra sentences could be a life saver during a difficult production.

Sensitive faders! The CTRL button allows for really sensitive changes to aux sends, eq's, and so on. I would love to see this with the faders as well. I usually select the channel strip first, so that I can pull the large fader up and down, rather than trying to work with the small ones.

Even better would be to allow the mouse scroll wheel to move faders up and down. Perhaps in the options panel there could be a setting where you could dictate how sensitive the faders would be to wheel scroll wheel movement. This would give me a lot more confidence in moving faders remotely.

I mix with VCA's, in additional to channel strips. I would really love to have a window that can display both! The closest thing available right now is the snapshots panel, because you can quickly move back and forth between inputs and outputs. But a window that would let you see both inputs and outputs would be great. Sometimes I need to unmute a particular microphone for a speaker, while simultaneously bringing the band down. Currently, to do this remotely I have to turn the mic on early and guess as the volume, so I can switch over to outputs to get the band down. Or I would have to devote a vca to the MC or Pastors mic, which wouldn't be ideal during a big production.

I thought of more stuff during the production, so maybe the rest will come back to me later.

Anyhow, Digidesign Venue rocks! I wouldn't trade it for any other system. These suggestions are not complaints. Just some ideas for improving remote mixing functionality. Thanks for making an awesome product.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:36 PM
Avid

Default Re: A few suggestions for remote mixing functionality...

Hi Josh,

Thanks for the feedback - these are all great suggestions. A few comments below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshRose View Post
Sensitive faders! The CTRL button allows for really sensitive changes to aux sends, eq's, and so on. I would love to see this with the faders as well. I usually select the channel strip first, so that I can pull the large fader up and down, rather than trying to work with the small ones.
Click in the text box beneath the fader (where the dB value is) and then use the scroll wheel and CTRL/Fine mode (or the up/down arrow keys) to adjust the fader value. This should give better resolution and control when using a laptop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshRose View Post
I mix with VCA's, in additional to channel strips. I would really love to have a window that can display both! The closest thing available right now is the snapshots panel, because you can quickly move back and forth between inputs and outputs.
The function keys can be used to quickly switch between windows. Press F1 for Inputs, F2 for Outputs, etc.

Enjoy!

Sheldon
Old 04-15-2009, 08:50 AM

The mute-groups are on both input and output window, so if it's enough to just mute/unmute the channel it would be helpful?
Old 04-15-2009, 01:28 PM

Thanks. These are all good tips.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldon Radford View Post
Click in the text box beneath the fader (where the dB value is) and then use the scroll wheel and CTRL/Fine mode (or the up/down arrow keys) to adjust the fader value. This should give better resolution and control when using a laptop.
Ah, so you click on the text box instead of the knob. I recently bought a USB knob and have it emulating the mouse scroll wheel. Very handy, when supported by the software.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:27 AM

Thanks for the key tips! They work amazing. Guess I missed them in reference.