Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2009, 09:29 PM

Default Churches w/ Venue/and Live PT mix

Hi Peps i'm looking for other Churches out there that are Using Venue consoles at FOH and also running a Pro Tools setup driving a mix for either Audio usage or mix for Video world. I would love to hear the high lights of your systems and if possible eventually get a tour of them.

At this point in time i've recently started a new job with a new Church and i've been blessed to have such strong support from the Elders here to get the sound system up to snuff. Since being hired on less than 5 months ago i've integrated a Venue system and Pro Tools system. My hope was to provide a good 2track mix for web as well as 2track for Video but this has temporarily alluded me. Because of Software and budget limitations i've sidelined the live mix from PT for now but i hope to rectify this.

At any rate the Venue system is great and i look forward to adding on Plug ins in the near future. The only bummer is the quality of the system between the Venue and the People. I've already have a plan(or two) to deliver as much of the quality from the venue to the people but will have to wait for budget at this time. While i'm waiting i would love to hear the results of your system between your Venue and audience. Are you getting what you feel is the most definition out of your system? If so what components are you using?

On the topic of Plug in's what would you say would be your must have Plug in's in the Church environment?

Using the Venue and PT as your base system what components would you really think would make things easier. I would ask about what you would want as a dream system but that tends to go off in a totally different direction.

Thanks for your time.

crt
Old 01-18-2009, 10:21 AM

Default Re: Churches w/ Venue/and Live PT mix

We recently upgraded our sound system at our church. I got a mix rack with profile control surface. I also opted for the FWx card so that we can record to protools. We were running 2 analog consoles with a split for recording direct to pc and cd. We sold the recording console in order to purchase an imac for protools recording. I actually have multiple sends to various places for recording stuff. I use the PQ mixes frequently for stereo sends because I can insert a plugin if necessary for a compressor and for seperate volume control. I use a pq to send to video world - they record direct to dvd for sale, a pq for cd burn - also for sale immediatly after service. Then the protools send is kept for editing later, then posted to the web for download. Then I use a normal matrix output for the send to the assisted listening system.
As far as plugins go, I only have the Venue Pack the comes with the console. I know others have purchased more, but at the time I couldnt really justify the cost. I suggest watching the webinar on plugins that Robert Scovill did a few months back. It was quite informative for me and something he said really stuck out - The console sounds good on its own without the plugins- the rest is just for enhancing it further (paraphrased, of course).
Always happy to answer questions - let me know if you had anything more specific I didn't answer.
Sacramento, CA
Old 02-02-2009, 04:01 PM

I have a D-show profile and a ProTools HD rig set up at my church, running both Foh and monitors and have the all access pass plugin bundle. The plugins are nice to have trust me. I Like the Purple Limiter a lot across outputs, also the Aphex Exciter is nice across the mains too, helps with the fidelity of the system especially in the highs. We Have a Avid Adrenaline system in which i use to do all the video for internet and dvd's. Using the Pro Tools rig for the video sound is not always practical so i use a Matrix to feed my video and usually that works pretty good, having to edit video is enough as it is and having to edit the audio along with that just takes too much time. Go to my church website and you can see a free video on the homepage www.tgblive.org so you can get a jest of what i'm talking about.

Isaac
Old 02-07-2009, 03:20 AM

IS this GraceTech from the Church Community Forums? You might have seen me over there.

Shortly after the Venue console first came out, I sold a client of mine one of the very first shipping DShow consoles. When it came in, I set it up at the office to play around with it a little bit and make sure everything was working okay. Before we shipped it out, I brought my technical director at my church to check out the console and we all immediately fell in-love. We decided to invest into DShow and I must say it's the best purchase we've made there, well next to integrating ProToolsHD with it :)

We produce a weekly television broadcast called THE BIBLE HOUR:

http://www.blackhawkministries.org/biblehour.php

Before we put in the Venue console, we were using a pair of DDA large consoles in both our FOH and our STUDIO, where in the studio we were performing a real-time mix that whatever mix we made, that's what was recorded. Of course with each console came a lot of outboard compressors, a few reverbs, etc. Then of course, there was no re-call, no presets for EQ and Compressors, etc. So we moved to a pair of digital consoles and (2) Alesis HD24 recorders. With that we had automation and re-call, but no editing or anything like that. So a year after we put in the Venue console, we installed a ProToolsHD system with a Control24.

Each week we record directly from the Venue console into ProToolsHD, but while I'm tracking I use the Control24 to provide a broadcast mix. While we air our church service the following week, we have several buildings across our campus that is fed from our studios. So in the recording studio, I'm providing a broadcast mix locked to video---via the ProToolsHD system and TDM plugins. As to video, we have (2) remote-controlled cameras and two manned-cameras on the floor. I'm not sure what model of video mixer we're using, but it is nice. We have a dedicated video room, the same kind you'd find in any video broadcast studio although on a little smaller level. We record to a DVCPro deck, but later import into Final Cut for all of the editing. I have a duplicate system in my home studio where I bring both the video home and the ProTools sessions to edit and re-mix for the tv airing.

As to monitoring.....we have (16) channels of AVIOM with (2) AD16Pro hubs, so we're able to send a direct feed to anywhere on-stage. In addition, I have about (8) or so wireless in-ears that we use the Venue PQ System with. It's a large stage and we have a large praise team.

In addition to the Bible Hour preview above, here's a large concert I recorded there and then mixed @ home:

http://web.mac.com/fwmusician75/STUD...ull%20Song.mp3

We're in Fort Wayne, Indiana---you're welcome to come take a visit and tour both of how things are setup at church as well as at Sweetwater.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:42 AM

Hey Gracetech. I am running venue at Resurrection Fellowship in Northern Colorado. Most of the post production mixing is done right off the venue, and mixed to stereo back on to pro-tools, or occasionally printed right to a cd recorder. I don't know where you are located, but you're certainly welcome to visit.

[email protected]

PS: The only "must have" plugins that don't come with the console is the Cranesong Phoenix package. A multiband compressor is a nice addition as well.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:46 AM

Hi,

Im Head of Sound for a large London (UK) based church. We record to protools for a post-mix as well as recording live 2-track broadcast feeds straight off of the PQ matrixes.

Must have plugins for me are:
URS API eqs (although now, the Waves ones are available which would be even better)
URS Pultec Emulations (bombfactory emulations are noisy)
Anything by Stephen Massey (vt3, td5, L2007, CT4, TapeHead)
McDSP MC2000

Thanks!
Old 02-19-2009, 08:23 AM

Thanks for all the setup/workflow info so far.

Yes i'm the same Gracetech from CMN.

My current City of residence is Austin. It seems everyone lives quite a ways from me but i will be getting out to travel during the Summer so we will see what i can swing.

Hey if anyone has found a way to smooth out mixing from PT for a live 2trk mix that would be some great info.

crt
Old 02-23-2009, 10:04 AM

my live 2 track workflow basically goes as follows:

buss the music and speech seperately into a PQ matrix. insert compression on the music (usually impact for me) and on the speech (normally something like MC2000 in 3 band mode). then i'll take the whole PQ, send that to my 2-track recorder. on the PQ i'd insert first a 4 band MC2000 to smooth out the whole spectrum, then a L2007 limiter to give me a nice solid level. if necessary, i add an EQ after the MC2000 if it needs some compensation.