Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 05-09-2022, 05:13 PM

Default Re: PT Video Peripheral Advice BM vs AJA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Gates View Post
I don't think you'll even get a Kona 4 running like that on its own, let alone with an HDX card. You'll need a TB3 expansion chassis to handle that card and it'll probably saturate even that, so you still won't reliably run an HDX card with it.

Cheers,
Pete

I have never had a problem running HDX2 and a Blackmagic Decklink card in the same TB2 sonnet enclosure. We would be talking two PCIe 2.0 x4 devices for HDX2 and a PCIe 2.0 x8 device for the Kona 4. All up, it is 8Gbps for downstream, and 8Gbps for upstream. TB2 has 20Gbps of bandwidth each way...

If we were talking GPUs, I definitely wouldn't want a x16 device sharing a thunderbolt bus bandwidth with anything else but video playback cards don't seem to work anywhere near as hard computing hard data into visuals.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 05-10-2022, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
I have never had a problem running HDX2 and a Blackmagic Decklink card in the same TB2 sonnet enclosure. We would be talking two PCIe 2.0 x4 devices for HDX2 and a PCIe 2.0 x8 device for the Kona 4. All up, it is 8Gbps for downstream, and 8Gbps for upstream. TB2 has 20Gbps of bandwidth each way...

If we were talking GPUs, I definitely wouldn't want a x16 device sharing a thunderbolt bus bandwidth with anything else but video playback cards don't seem to work anywhere near as hard computing hard data into visuals.
Your numbers are off I'm afraid, the TB2 one is correct but your PCIe 2.0 ones are completely wrong.

Pete
Old 05-10-2022, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Gates View Post
Your numbers are off I'm afraid, the TB2 one is correct but your PCIe 2.0 ones are completely wrong.

Pete
The official PCIe 2.0 spec is 500Mbps per lane. HDX is a PCIe 2.0 4 lane device. The Kona 4 a PCIe 2.0 8 lane device. My numbers are totally within spec. If anything, what I have suggested is the absolute upper limits of what those cards use, and the real world numbers will be less.

Are you perhaps confusing the base clock rate of PCIe 2.0 at 5.0Ghz, with the total bus bandwidth of PCIe 2.0 at 8Gbps for a 16 lane device? I'm sure Sonnet know a thing or two about this, which is why they have included two x8 PCIe 2.0 slots and one x4 2.0 PCIe slot in the TB2 enclosure. The suggested setup will work totally fine.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 05-10-2022, 02:49 PM

Quote:
IWe would be talking two PCIe 2.0 x4 devices for HDX2 and a PCIe 2.0 x8 device for the Kona 4. All up, it is 8Gbps for downstream, and 8Gbps for upstream. TB2 has 20Gbps of bandwidth each way...
Gbps is gigabits/S not gigabytes/S. Here you're using it to signify both. GBps or GB/S is gigabytes/S

PCIe 2.0 x 16 is 8GB/s not 8Gbps, it's 80Gbps with TB2 being only 20Gbps

Quote:
The official PCIe 2.0 spec is 500Mbps per lane.
And here you're doing the same with Mbps, which is megabits/S. MBps or MB/S is megabytes/S. A PCIe 2.0 lane is 500MB/s not 500Mbps, it's 5000Mbps.

Quote:
Are you perhaps confusing the base clock rate of PCIe 2.0 at 5.0Ghz, with the total bus bandwidth of PCIe 2.0 at 8Gbps for a 16 lane device?
PCIe 2.0 x 16 is 8GB/s not 8Gbps, it's 80Gbps.

Quote:
I'm sure Sonnet know a thing or two about this, which is why they have included two x8 PCIe 2.0 slots and one x4 2.0 PCIe slot in the TB2 enclosure. The suggested setup will work totally fine.
They certainly do, and it's common to have a set of PCIe slots where the total number of lanes needed to achieve saturation on all slots simultaneously is greater than the total number of lanes feeding among them all.

Thunderbolt 2 is essentially a PCIe 2.0 x 4 connection, so a PCIe 2.0 x 8 electrical connection video card such as Kona 4 will not be able to achieve its maximum performance over that connect. That may not necessarily even be a problem in your usage case, YMMV.

Pete