Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2013, 01:32 AM

Default Newbie interested in buying and Eleven rack. Are they reliable?

Hi folks. As a newbie to perusing Avid gear, I am interested in buying an Eleven rack, although some of the soundclips I've heard have been rather lifeless.

I have a Roland VG77 and Two Peavey Tranformer modellers. (the 1 x 12" and the 2x 12"s.) and I primarily want clean sounds like my Fender 'The Twin' or my Trace Eliot or Selmer combos, and the cleans are for me the most important.

One question;
Is the new iteration of Eleven reliable? I probably want to buy from the US because of price point, (I live in Bulgaria) but would hate to have to send it all the way back to LA to get fixed under warranty (or out of warranty)

All my other modeller combos have been problem free (as have all my valve amps) but after reading some of the horror stories here and elsewhere about endless Eleven problems, I am reluctant to buy.. (I suppose that I just want some reassurance that the product is getting better.)

Thomann.de Germany price for Eleven with PT is about 900 euros, and US prices without PT (which I don't want or need) less than half that..

It is impossible to play one here, and I'm just looking for advice on on reliability mainly.
The hardware version of the 11's for sale is 'F' (which I can find nothing about) (or about which, I can find nothing..)

keep twanging

ritchie
bg
Old 08-15-2013, 01:47 AM

Default Re: Newbie interested in buying and Eleven rack. Are they reliable?

They seem very reliable, the only widespread problem in the past was a problem with the internal clock and that was fixed.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:03 AM

Thanks Darryl !!
Old 08-15-2013, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
They seem very reliable, the only widespread problem in the past was a problem with the internal clock and that was fixed.
Pretty much my recollection.

The very earliest units (which I have ) had some problems with a poorly grounded output to amp jack. Which was fixed in production. The very first post in this forum my have been mine alerting Avid to the jack issue. It was never a widespread issue either I might add. I ordered my unit on the day they were introduced and had it early the next day. And other than the jack quibble mine has been good all this time. I beleive thats 5 years now. Avid had another jack here the next day soldered up by Hiro (the project lead) himself. I'm defineatly going to add another 11Rack at some point.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 08-15-2013, 09:25 PM

Had mine for about four years and returned several in the beginning with clock problems. Avid took care of it promptly. I too will probably wind up getting another. It's been an awesome machine for me and I don't know what I'd do with out it.

Fritz
Seagate 500GB GoFlex Pro 7200rpm Firewire 800 Ultra Portable Drive
Audient iD22 and Focusrite Pro 40 Interfaces
Focusrite Red 3 compressor
Lexicon 300
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Waves Gold Bundle • CLA Classic Compressors • Slate FG-X, VBC, VCC, VTM
Slate Trigger EX • Superior Drummer 2.0
Old 08-15-2013, 09:31 PM

Can't say about reliability - but I can say that the audio reproduction is great and not lifeless at all

I've just had mine about 2 months or so
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:07 PM

Thanks a million guys. I think I shall order one from the US and keep my fingers crossed that I find it as good and as reliable as most folks here say. (because I can't audition one at all, before buying)

I do think that some of the demos haven't done it justice, and on only a few clips did I hear the sort of tones I want. (Clean slightly compressed and lively stratty-tones for instance)

Most seemed to be distortion, and a couple of distorted or broken-up bluesy Gary Moore type tones or honking Duane Allman tones are all I need, but I do need lots of different cleans with not too many OTT effects apparent in the sound. Chorus and flange are not so interesting to me any more.
Looking forward to having a wonderful new orange beastie sitting on top of my power amp and cabs, and also to seeing how it ports to Nuendo and Cubase SX. (and Hack 11)

thanks again

ritchie
bulgaria.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:50 PM

I am also looking at purchasing an Eleven Rack soon and after reading some threads on some problems has me worried. Is the hanging up on boot screen a big problem for the community? Just worried about reliability or glitches and such.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackfire View Post
I am also looking at purchasing an Eleven Rack soon and after reading some threads on some problems has me worried. Is the hanging up on boot screen a big problem for the community? Just worried about reliability or glitches and such.
All electronics will eventually fail, but the hanging at boot and other problems you have read about, while unfortunate for those who experience it, are an anomaly. I have had my 11R for over 3 years and it has not failed me yet.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 09-22-2013, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackfire View Post
after reading some threads on some problems has me worried..
As long as you're saying some threads, I wouldn't worry. Also remember for every negative thread there are probably hundreds of of zero problem happy purchaser who don't even bother with the internet message boards. Having said that, it's good to buy from a major online retailer to get the 2 year warranty. I just bought mine recently 3-4 months, from such online retailer americanmusical and it came with the expansion pack, simply flawless as it seems well made and put together from quality parts. I also have the HD500, but I feel the Eleven Rack is more sturdy and reliable.