Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2011, 06:25 PM

Default Help me think this through: Mixing with REAPER rewired

So I have finally been forced into a corner where I have no choice but to mix on a Pro Tools 8.0.5 LE set up. I for one cannot deal with the limitations as no mix I do is really small enough to be accommodated by the track and busing limitations. No I do not have access to 9.0 (I am far from work and even further from home), no they don't want to upgrade, no there is no studio they trust close by that has a HD rig..nooow..

I do have a trusty copy of REAPER on hand, and I know several folks around here have talked for a while about rewiring REAPER into Pro Tools to increase track counts...so I get the whole host audio in REAPER, send to Aux track in PT and then load plugs-ins and automation.

Here is where my brain fart comes in..If I am doing bussing inside of REAPER, I will have to send the effect AND audio to PT for the ADC to work properly and stay in time. Now lets say I have another group of audio going directly into PT from REAPER....its being delayed by the plugin's in PT..how the hell do u keep up with all the math..what have you guys been doing?

Has the method been just solely hosting the audio in REAPER and sending it to PT AUX tracks, then doing all your effects bussing inside of PT?

For those who are using both REAPER and PT for FX sends, how do you compensate for the delay? Are you sending both the FX and audio to PT on separate tracks as I said in the example....I will experiment of course, but just wanted to hear from those who have already walked the beaten path.

Thanks In Advance
Old 10-19-2011, 08:26 PM

Default Re: Help me think this through: Mixing with REAPER rewired

Your brain is not farting. It's telling you "this is a bad idea". I can't imagine anything your mixing on the road without a proper work station needing more than 32 bus's. If they need it mixed in pro tools and your taking the job. Mix it in pro tools.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:37 PM

Default Re: Help me think this through: Mixing with REAPER rewired

Quote:
Originally Posted by browniespeaks View Post
Your brain is not farting. It's telling you "this is a bad idea". I can't imagine anything your mixing on the road without a proper work station needing more than 32 bus's. If they need it mixed in pro tools and your taking the job. Mix it in pro tools.
Thanks for the reply, but NOT an option right now.