Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2007, 02:54 AM

Default Pro tools HD II and LOgic Pro 7x

Hi,
To composing i use Logic Pro/ Mixing Pro Tools
Before i used logic pro in Dae and work fine in my G5
I ve bought a MAc Pro and i can't find any DAe in Logic Pro
So, is protools 7.3x in Mac pro is compatible with Logic 7.2.3 ?
Thanks

Bypass
Old 06-10-2007, 04:02 AM

Default Re: Pro tools HD II and LOgic Pro 7x

No, Apple hasn´t released a Logic Pro version with support for MacPro / Pro Tools hardware...

My guess is that Logic will cease to exist and it will be replaced with "Garageband Pro".
Old 06-10-2007, 07:05 PM

Even on a PPC Logic is 99% unstable using DAE...

Apple could not have messed up Logic any further even if they had tried... IMO - Logic died with Emagic

One good thing came out of it though, it made me switch 100% to ProTools and that is the best move I've ever made:))
Old 06-16-2007, 04:09 PM

Yes Logic has some problems. But it can have 255 stereo tracks. I still am upset with the track limitations in all versions of Pro Tools. I don't understand why there are these limitations. I want to use Pro Tools more, but cannot afford the $10,000 versions of hardware just to have more tracks.
Old 06-16-2007, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Even on a PPC Logic is 99% unstable using DAE...

Apple could not have messed up Logic any further even if they had tried... IMO - Logic died with Emagic
That's not my experience at all. I use Logic Pro with my PT Accel system daily, and it's quite stable. I really rely on Logic's compositional features, and the efficiency of AU support (a must for the VSL VI). Maybe your system was not configured properly.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:26 AM

I would agree with the above post (on PPC). I use Logic Pro on DAE here too with tonnes of AU plugs, virtual insts, MIDI to other computers etc and it's all very stable even when I get close to CPU limit. I do get the occasional crash but it's almost always to do with a plug misbehaving - there are a few you have to treat gently.

It's rumoured that when the next major update to Logic comes it will break with TDM support so this discussion would sadly become irrelevant.
Old 06-17-2007, 06:58 AM

I used Logic as front end to digi hardware from 1998 till the release of Logic 7. It was not out a shear fun that I chose to switch DAW after so many years. My system IS set correctly and it does "Work" but compared to what protools offers a tdm user it is fare more than how Logic utilizes the tdm/dae engine. But Logic 7 compared to protools is very unstable. My PT system quits unexpectedly once every 3 months. Logic does it 3 times a day at least. In addition it has been a long while since Logic received an update and it still carries so many bugs around which if you are to look at the Apple Logic Pro forum will find that I am not the only one to mention.

It all depends of course on how much you push your system. But I would NEVER want to record a full band on Logic pro. Not to mention a live concert recording. Those moments in time are better kept using Protools. As long as one doesn't try to preview an audio file via the space key in work space area))

I do agree with you that the AU host IF is superior to the buggy and irritating RTAS interface. And for midi arrangement and compositions where midi plays a big part Logic is still the leader. However, for people "playing" their music live without programming PT is simply UNBEATABLE .... ))
Old 06-18-2007, 11:23 AM

are you LOGIC users using a second MAC or running BOTH PT and LOGIC on the same machine?

thanks