Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 05-18-2022, 04:06 AM

Default Re: Altiverb XL + Stereo/Quadro IRs - Good for LCR?

The only problem with center level on Altiverb in my experience is it defaults to off on 5.1 verbs.
So if you change your impulse it switches off again.
Once its written on for a scene, it stays on.
I've never had a problem with it and you can balance the amount of reverb in the center to your taste without affecting any other channel.
Old 05-18-2022, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farhoof View Post
In Protools you can only pan mono or stereo tracks outputting to quad or 5.1 (or something bigger than mono/stereo).
In Protools you can not re-pan a 5.1 into 5.1 (like re-pan the surrounds a bit more towards the fronts). Spanner allows you to do stuff like this.
Good point. I was thinking of outputting Altiverb in stereo to LCR. But you're right, my Altiverb XL is on a 5.0 track in surround mode, so no bleeding possible with PT panner...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farhoof View Post
Also beware, Altiverb has buggy automation when using the 'center level'. It needs to pass an automation breakpoint in order to get the correct setting. When you reopen the session the level is at default (if I remember correctly) and only jump to the correct setting when it passes a breakpoint.
This might be fixed by now though, I hardly use Altiverb, but it was there for while.
Good to know, thanks for the hint!
Old 05-18-2022, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
You have zero control of the levels on L, C, R with the divergence control. If you bleed to C, you are losing L and R.
I can't confirm this. With convergence, L/R position and center level adjustment in PT panner, I have full control... I'm using PT 10 HD - maybe the panner changed in more recent versions?