Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 05-04-2022, 07:58 AM

Default Cannot Bounce to Disk because of...

I am getting repeated 'Cannot Bounce to Disk due to Vector' or 'Cannot Bounce to disk due to std:exception' errors.

Quitting Pro Tool and relaunching the session solves this issue.

These happen in multiple rooms across different session and storage mediums (local and SAN).

What causes this and how can I solve this issue?

We are on 10.13.6 and PTU 2020.12.
Denver, CO
Old 05-04-2022, 11:27 AM

Default Re: Cannot Bounce to Disk because of...

Your setup is more complex than ours, but whenever I've seen errors like that, trashing:

MiscSettings
Workspace.wksp
Workspace.wksp-shm
Workspace.wksp-wal

in Users/Shared/Pro Tools usually clears it up. You've probably already done this, just checking...
Old 05-05-2022, 01:24 PM

Thank you. I will give that a shot.

Randall

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichman View Post
Your setup is more complex than ours, but whenever I've seen errors like that, trashing:

MiscSettings
Workspace.wksp
Workspace.wksp-shm
Workspace.wksp-wal

in Users/Shared/Pro Tools usually clears it up. You've probably already done this, just checking...
Denver, CO
Old 05-06-2022, 11:14 AM

For what it is worth, deleting these files had no impact on the frequency of the issue.

Randall

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichman View Post

MiscSettings
Workspace.wksp
Workspace.wksp-shm
Workspace.wksp-wal

Denver, CO
Old 05-11-2022, 02:45 PM

Avid? I would like some type of answer as to what this error means and what causes it.

Thank you,

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadraphonics View Post
I am getting repeated 'Cannot Bounce to Disk due to Vector' or 'Cannot Bounce to disk due to std:exception' errors.

Quitting Pro Tool and relaunching the session solves this issue.

These happen in multiple rooms across different session and storage mediums (local and SAN).

What causes this and how can I solve this issue?

We are on 10.13.6 and PTU 2020.12.
Denver, CO
Old 05-11-2022, 09:58 PM

Not a common error, and I've been unable to repro (though I'm on macOS 10.15.7 at the moment). I could only find one similar report which was from years ago (v12.3) when using multiple duplicate outputs in the Bounce dialog.

Has it always done this or did the start of it coincide with any other changes?

I'd recommend stepping through the optimizations and troubleshooting at https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...Optimize-10-13 then start a support case and report back with the case #.
Old 05-11-2022, 10:25 PM

Getting low level C++ stdlib runtime errors like "std::exception" (and I'll expect the other is std::vector) means something is badly messed up. And the best way to badly mess up low level stuff in Pro Tools is... plugin issues. Which could also explain why this is seen in all rooms if you've installed the same plugins on systems in those rooms. So that is where I'd start troubleshooting.

So try basic standard troubleshooting: Try just trashing prefs, that not fix issues then move all .aaxplugin files out of the plugin folder, trash prefs and test with only the standard Pro Tools plugins installed which will automatically be put back when you start Pro Tools.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 05-11-2022 at 10:54 PM.
Old 05-12-2022, 08:36 AM

This has been an issue with 2020.12, which we are stuck on for video output reasons.

I believe it happened a bit on the version we used prior, but not nearly as much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
Not a common error, and I've been unable to repro (though I'm on macOS 10.15.7 at the moment). I could only find one similar report which was from years ago (v12.3) when using multiple duplicate outputs in the Bounce dialog.

Has it always done this or did the start of it coincide with any other changes?

I'd recommend stepping through the optimizations and troubleshooting at https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...Optimize-10-13 then start a support case and report back with the case #.
Denver, CO
Old 05-12-2022, 08:37 AM

Darryl,

We have tried trashing preferences.

I will try moving all of the installed plugins to the unused folder and trying again.

Thanks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Getting low level C++ stdlib runtime errors like "std::exception" (and I'll expect the other is std::vector) means something is badly messed up. And the best way to badly mess up low level stuff in Pro Tools is... plugin issues. Which could also explain why this is seen in all rooms if you've installed the same plugins on systems in those rooms. So that is where I'd start troubleshooting.

So try basic standard troubleshooting: Try just trashing prefs, that not fix issues then move all .aaxplugin files out of the plugin folder, trash prefs and test with only the standard Pro Tools plugins installed which will automatically be put back when you start Pro Tools.
Denver, CO
Old 05-12-2022, 10:26 PM

i get these types of message quite often. But usually for bounces with video.. usually goes away if I quite and relaunch PT.

if it doesnt then I use the Peter Gates PT pref app and delete then restore form a backup prefs..