Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > The Drum Room

Old 12-03-2013, 10:13 PM

Default I'm interested in hearing your drum virtual drum tracks!

I am interested in hearing any drum track produced using STRIKE, or perhaps another virtual drummer instrument. Anything anyone would like to share - a track, a clip, even a finished song on iTunes.

I'm not a drummer, but have used drum machines since they first came out, but STRIKE, and I suppose, other apps the not only produce the sounds but play the parts amaze and confound me at the same time. I think it's about not really knowing whether it's a performance that I can say I created - or not. And whether I go down the road of tweaking a preset to the point of where I would have been better off just starting from scratch.

Maybe more important than actually hearing a track, is, what was your process, how did you get from point A to B and so on? If you used STRIKE, did you start from a preset and customize with your own patterns and kits? Did you stay within its own editing environment, or export to MIDI and work there? Are you a drummer, or consult with one? Do you edit and tweak the way human drummers play - things like being ahead of or behind the beat? Do you ever create a track like this, but also keep another one - one that is just quantized to perhaps a sixteenth note, where every sounds falls exactly on the tick, with no groove or anything to compare the differences?

Back in the eighties and into the next decade, the quest was always to get more sounds of any sort. We relaied on stacks of keyboards and sound modules as computer based VIs were just starting to become a viable option. Now, there is no shortage of sounds - good sounds. I'm still on PTMP8 and purchased STRIKE and Kontakt 3. I've still barely scratched the surface of what I can do with what's available to me. Especially with drums - even without the add ons I got BOOM, plus all the sounds in XPAND and Structure Free and BFD lite.

So - thanks for reading if you gotten this far - and I would really like to hear what you've done!
Old 12-03-2013, 10:36 PM

Default Re: I'm interested in hearing your drum virtual drum tracks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSW View Post
I think it's about not really knowing whether it's a performance that I can say I created - or not.
Strike is unique in that aspect (from what I've seen) b/c you can modify the preset groove - to play something that is a vector of the original groove

I use my bfd3 like a synth or keyboard - I play (midi drum set) and it is only used to reproduce the sounds that I am physically playing

Although there is nothing wrong with using grooves I don't typically use them that much - I just record the parts via midi and the system plays back the sounds - ie a sound module

YouTube is full of videos ! Have at it
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSW View Post
Maybe more important than actually hearing a track, is, what was your process, how did you get from point A to B and so on?

Are you a drummer, or consult with one? Do you edit and tweak the way human drummers play - things like being ahead of or behind the beat?!
I do play mediocre drums, but I am a string player with some keyboard chops.

Playing drums has helped me write realistic parts, and generally I do write the parts in Sibelius or on the Pro Midi editor, but usually in staff notation in Sibelius as if I was writing a part for a studio drummer to read.

Then I import the MIDI file into Pro Tools, and play it back with Addictive Drums and use the MIDI editor to adjust volumes, add or remove fills and hits, etc.

I occasionally use a keyboard to play a drum part but mostly I write them the old-fashioned way and then use technology to realize the part.

And I still use real drums and drummers!
Old 12-04-2013, 11:57 AM

Real drummers !!! I had a guy awhile back who I was tracking him and his band - couldn't play to a click - and couldn't regulate the time during the song (7 min)

We went thru the song in 4 bar parts !!!! And played fills and etcetera

Full disclosure I'm just a guitar/bass player - but I think I can link up to a click !!! :)
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:45 PM

I'm lucky...my drummers actually can keep time with a click track.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:46 PM

These are 2 videos I recently did with BFD3. Neither are completely mixed and meant show the drums off a bit. The first one is quite heavy with screaming and all that good stuff. The second one is closer to an indie pop tune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C1EWq_3KrI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbJbN-hYEtM

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 3-6-18)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10