Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2013, 09:55 AM

Default Microphone Emulators

Is it possible to turn off the microphone emulators for recording on a PC?
Old 06-25-2013, 10:56 AM

Default Re: Microphone Emulators

No, it is not possible. You can turn off the cabinet, which turns off both the cabinet and mic.

I'm curious, why would you want to do that?
Old 06-25-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
No, it is not possible. You can turn off the cabinet, which turns off both the cabinet and mic.

I'm curious, why would you want to do that?
The entire chain in between the instrument and speakers is virtual, so why would I want a mic?
Old 06-25-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepresident777 View Post
The entire chain in between the instrument and speakers is virtual, so why would I want a mic?
Heh. Good question.

I'd guess that the answer is somewhere along the lines of the difficulty of measuring the response of a microphone without a speaker and vice versa.

But that's just a guess...
Old 06-25-2013, 11:55 AM

The reason you want a mic is because that's how it would be in real life. How do you know how the cabinet speakers sound if you don't have a mic to record it?

If you stood in a room 20 feet away from the cabinet, and liked the sound, you would have to put up some kind of mic at that position to capture it. If you put your ear 2 inches from the cabinet, it would sound completely different, and again, you would need a mic at that position to capture that as well.

That's the entire purpose of amp sims, is to emulate amps in real life. Same thing applies to live use. A mic is put up to the cabinet, then amplified in the PA system.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Same thing applies to live use. A mic is put up to the cabinet, then amplified in the PA system.
I think the OP's underlying point is: "What if don't want the mic'd amp sound."

Some players like the sound of their guitar amps "in the room". The question them becomes: "Why can't I have a modeler behave exactly like a guitar amp, rather than a mic'd amp?"
Old 06-25-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieDyedDevil View Post

Some players like the sound of their guitar amps "in the room". The question them becomes: "Why can't I have a modeler behave exactly like a guitar amp, rather than a mic'd amp?"
THIS!

It really limits the usefulness of the equipment when you have to follow someone else's arbitrary preferences.

When I go amp shopping, I don't plug a mic into my ears.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:06 PM

I see. But amp sims are designed for recording and live use, not auditioning amps. And 99% of the time the configuration used is a mic a couple of inches off the speaker.

If you wanted to simulate an amp in a room, you could experiment with reverb and the wet/dry mix, simulating being farther away.

Also, some amp sims have a simulation of moving the mic away from the cab further in the room, such as Amplitube and Guitar Rig.

And, if you choose the Ribbon 121, it gives a sense of that as well, even though it's close up to the speaker. This is part of the reason they are popular to use on cabs, in combination with other mics.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepresident777 View Post
THIS!

It really limits the usefulness of the equipment when you have to follow someone else's arbitrary preferences.

When I go amp shopping, I don't plug a mic into my ears.
well,an amp sim doesnt go to the shop to audition an amp,cause he actually doesnt have ears,he in fact uses a mic for earing
Old 06-25-2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieDyedDevil View Post

And this bolded section for me is the most important question of all. I've never personally heard a modeler through flat reference speakers sound like a tube amp in the room, but I'd love to! There's at least one well known speaker designer that claims it's possible.

I've run my 11R through the power stage of my Fender Supersonic and guess what, it sounds like a tube amp in the room! Because it is.

Giving up the sound of a tube amp in the room would be impossible for me - which is why when I someday buy a Kemper I will monitor live with a guitar cab while running that beautiful kemper signal to the PA or Pro Tools.