Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2011, 01:32 AM

Default When Louder isn't Better

Front page banner article today in The Australian newspaper.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1226054893862

Apologies if this is considered OT.

Mike.

Avid Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.3. Win7x64Sp1. i7-930 X58A-UD3R. Acronis backup. Black Viper optimized.
Google the DUC
Search Avid

Old 05-13-2011, 03:36 AM

Default Re: When Louder isn't Better

PROBABLYGETMOVEDTOGENERALGENERALDISCUSSIONBUTITSAG OODPIECE

Sorry, let me turn off my word compressor... Probably get moved to general general discussion but it's a good piece.

What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 05-13-2011, 06:17 AM

Umm, I never cared for the stones, I give them credit for what they offered up in the early days, but I just do not like them. Love lots of bands from that era, some of the best music ever from say '66, 67' until Disco hit....... Lots of good stuff before then as well, but things started to change in the later part of the 60's The Beatles were doing some of there best stuff then, to me anyway. New bands like Floyd and Sabbath, just to name my favorites. Lot of great stuff.

Now I have no Idea what Metallic was thinking with St. Anger and the one after, sounded like crap, guess they had to get over the crying DVD that was so pathetic. No wonder Newstead left..... But if you have not seen the Big Four DVD filmed in Sofia? I think thats how its spelled, but they really redeemed themselves on that DVD, It is killer, the way Metallic is meant to be seen and heard. Best DVD live metal show in years. And I swore I would never forgive them for the garbage they put on those two Cd's, but I feel a level of respect that has been gone since before the Justice days, Love And Justice For All, but it was a huge change in there sound. Puppets, and Ride The Lighting was the pinnacle for me. The solos for that time were unreal, The breakdown of Master Of Puppets, Battery, just brutal, And Orion has to be one of the coolest bass riffs ever! could go on and on.... As sure as I love their older stuff, allot of people on here I am sure have no interest at all for that style and era. I love just about everything that is just good music, Clapton, Steve Miller, CCR, Eagles,The Police, and Sting after that. allot of 80,s stuff was good as well, Flock of seagulls, Peter Gabriel, Phil Collins, so many great bands, 90's Alice In Chains, Nirvana, I really tried not to like them but it changed everything, can't deny that, Korn, another band that changed things in the 90's, I could take or leave them but they inspired a whole new sound and killed the guitar solo for about 10 years...... Soundgarden, Pantera, COC, Pearl Jam, Radio Head, Black Crows, Counting Crows, love his emotion he puts into his vocals. I will spare everyone of the death metal bands, but there were a few that were/are amazing. Youtube Monstrosity, I am remixing some old stuff for Lee, the drummer, block out the vocals and just watch how effortless he plays the drums, not just fast, but super complex patterns. I have been out of that scene for over 15 years but I still am amazed by a handful of drummers from that era. Have to put Dave Mathews in there, I skipped Pink Floyd, how can that be...... Not as many great bands come to mind in the last decade, there are plenty, but just look how many I missed from the 60's, 70's, 80,s and 90,s could name at least a hundred more great bands, not just good, but great. Music is lacking the greats now, maybe I am just getting older and don't pay as much attention, but I just think music except for the few, is not as good now. everyone turns out a CD a year or so, less time spent righting good songs. Get it on iTunes and make your $.70 cents a song.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by danander11 View Post
PROBABLYGETMOVEDTOGENERALGENERALDISCUSSIONBUTITSAG OODPIECE

Sorry, let me turn off my word compressor... Probably get moved to general general discussion but it's a good piece.

www.kineticrecordingstudios.com
Old 05-13-2011, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KroNEe View Post
Umm, I never cared for the stones, I give them credit for what they offered up in the early days, but I just do not like them. Love lots of bands from that era, some of the best music ever from say '66, 67' until Disco hit....... Lots of good stuff before then as well, but things started to change in the later part of the 60's The Beatles were doing some of there best stuff then, to me anyway. New bands like Floyd and Sabbath, just to name my favorites. Lot of great stuff.

Now I have no Idea what Metallic was thinking with St. Anger and the one after, sounded like crap, guess they had to get over the crying DVD that was so pathetic. No wonder Newstead left..... But if you have not seen the Big Four DVD filmed in Sofia? I think thats how its spelled, but they really redeemed themselves on that DVD, It is killer, the way Metallic is meant to be seen and heard. Best DVD live metal show in years. And I swore I would never forgive them for the garbage they put on those two Cd's, but I feel a level of respect that has been gone since before the Justice days, Love And Justice For All, but it was a huge change in there sound. Puppets, and Ride The Lighting was the pinnacle for me. The solos for that time were unreal, The breakdown of Master Of Puppets, Battery, just brutal, And Orion has to be one of the coolest bass riffs ever! could go on and on.... As sure as I love their older stuff, allot of people on here I am sure have no interest at all for that style and era. I love just about everything that is just good music, Clapton, Steve Miller, CCR, Eagles,The Police, and Sting after that. allot of 80,s stuff was good as well, Flock of seagulls, Peter Gabriel, Phil Collins, so many great bands, 90's Alice In Chains, Nirvana, I really tried not to like them but it changed everything, can't deny that, Korn, another band that changed things in the 90's, I could take or leave them but they inspired a whole new sound and killed the guitar solo for about 10 years...... Soundgarden, Pantera, COC, Pearl Jam, Radio Head, Black Crows, Counting Crows, love his emotion he puts into his vocals. I will spare everyone of the death metal bands, but there were a few that were/are amazing. Youtube Monstrosity, I am remixing some old stuff for Lee, the drummer, block out the vocals and just watch how effortless he plays the drums, not just fast, but super complex patterns. I have been out of that scene for over 15 years but I still am amazed by a handful of drummers from that era. Have to put Dave Mathews in there, I skipped Pink Floyd, how can that be...... Not as many great bands come to mind in the last decade, there are plenty, but just look how many I missed from the 60's, 70's, 80,s and 90,s could name at least a hundred more great bands, not just good, but great. Music is lacking the greats now, maybe I am just getting older and don't pay as much attention, but I just think music except for the few, is not as good now. everyone turns out a CD a year or so, less time spent righting good songs. Get it on iTunes and make your $.70 cents a song.....
So, what do you think about the article the OP referred to?....the one about the loudness war
Old 05-13-2011, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KroNEe View Post

Don't confuse the magazine that was founded by Jann Wenner in 1967 to the band who are from england. Two different things.

As for the article, it's about time that it's been called against by the industry.

Wave-T.com
Old 05-13-2011, 01:33 PM

Dark Side Of The Moon continues to be my favorite album for several reasons, including engineering.

I really appreciate articles like this and hope the crowd-it and loud-it expectation goes away. Some engineers will remain high ranking officers on the loudness side of the war and continue to think that it helps the music. However, hopefully enough engineers will provide more dynamic alternatives, like Bob Ludwig, that will stop the expectation of loud (caused by engineers) by those who make executive decisions about the songs and those who buy them.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:47 PM

Not to mention, D/A converters sound lots better when they're not constantly pushing the top of their headroom. Maybe really expensive converters can handle it. But not the ones 99.9% of listeners use.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 05-13-2011, 05:02 PM

Anyone who has ever sat mezmerized listening to a album through headphones with thier eyes closed can tell you older music sucked you into the sound field and made you a participant - newer music just runs you over and leaves you for dead.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 05-13-2011, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
Anyone who has ever sat mezmerized listening to a album through headphones with thier eyes closed can tell you older music sucked you into the sound field and made you a participant - newer music just runs you over and leaves you for dead.
Very well said

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-13-2011, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
I always blamed the mescaline..

What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!