Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > MBOX Studio

Old 11-27-2022, 05:03 AM

Default MBOX Studio problem: crackling noises

I have my Avid Mbox Studio now for four days. And it's a great piece of gear. I use it for Pro Tools, but also use it for my computer audio.
But there is one thing I really hate about it.

When booting up my computer it produces a burst of 7 or 8 short crackling sounds out of the speakers, - sounds like inserting a jack cable. I always turn on my peripherals first (speakers last) and then my mac.

It can be expected that there could be some noise if the speakers are already on and then you turn on the MBOX, but this is way to much. I can compare this to my UAx4 and Focusrite Scarlet 2i2, which both do NOT give any crackling sound what so ever when connecting or booting up with the speakers already on, or any of the other ways listed below.

Listen here

It happens:
- when turning MBOX on, while speakers are already on
- when system is up and running, and I have to reboot my computer. the moment my mac connects to the Mbox Studio, you get the bursts.
- when I launch Pro Tools after computer is booted up
- selecting the MBOX Studio in the Playback Engine settings, when other hardware was selected while booting Pro Tools
- when I log in and out of my user
- when changing audio device in macOS system audio preferences (going away or towards the MBOX)
- when opening Apple Music or any other audio software that connects to the MBOX.

System
Macbook Pro M1Max - 64 Gb memory
macOS 12.5.1
Pro Tools version 2022.10
Latest firmware of the MBOX Studio
MBOX Control app version 1.0.0

Last edited by Novae Studios; 12-03-2022 at 02:37 AM.
Old 11-27-2022, 07:38 AM

Default Re: MBOX Studio problem: crackling noise when booting up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novae Studios View Post
I have my Avid Mbox Studio now for four days. And it's a great piece of gear.
But there is one thing I really hate about it.

I use it also for my computer audio.
When powering up or connecting it to my mac it produces 7 of 8 short crackling sounds out of the speakers, - like inserting a cable.

Listen here

If the monitors are up loud, don't think this sound is very good for the speakers...

It also happens, when I launch Pro Tools. But then just 1 or 2 bursts.

I wish it would just mute the outputs until totally booted up and connected to the mac.
First that seems like something is wrong BUT--

But first you might list what your system actually is
What computer what version OS and PT ect.

So because of this " When powering up or connecting it to my mac it produces 7 of 8 short crackling sounds out of the speakers, - like inserting a cable."
Can we assume you are using a laptop and it is not a dedicated studio computer that you can simply leave the M Box connected to ?

Also unclear is your order of steps. It is considered standard operating procedure TO.
#1 first connect the interface to the computer before powering anything
#2 Turn the interface outputs down On but down
#3 power the interface on ( And see if you get the crackling)
# 4 power the computer on

Now I do get a couple of clicking sounds when I power on my Carbon ,, but not through the speaker or HP output And not when I launch PT ??

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 11-27-2022, 11:15 AM

And also

#5 Power on speaker/monitors/amps LAST

You'll never hear the pops that way.

This order of operations specifically avoids all such issues, on purpose.

Least you could do is maybe to totally power off your speakers when plugging unplugging live inputs/interface?

Also best practice is reversing steps to power down and disconnect, i.e. #5, #4, #3, #2, #1, then you're done.

Not saying this is an issue here, but I bet a large proportion of "IT'S NOT WORKING" posts on the forums and "something happened then I heard audio, don't know what or why" has to do with interfaces powering on and plugging in bad order or drivers otherwise getting crossed somewhere in the boot up. Evidence being, these users maybe only did a power cycle and something might have connected as it should.
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //
Old 11-27-2022, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nednednerb View Post
And also

You'll never hear the pops that way.

This order of operations specifically avoids all such issues, on purpose.

Least you could do is maybe to totally power off your speakers when plugging unplugging live inputs/interface?

Also best practice is reversing steps to power down and disconnect, i.e. #5, #4, #3, #2, #1, then you're done.
Indeed, speakers on last and off first has been SOP for decades(I have a second power strip mounted in a rack to power up speakers, lava lamps and other stuff). Beyond that, you can power the Mbox(or connect it) after the computer boots.

I also have the computer, screens and interface fed by an APC UPS for protection and keep the speakers on a separate AC connection(if the power goes out, I don't need speakers to save/close and shut down the system)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-28-2022, 12:45 AM

@everyone: see updated original post
Old 11-28-2022, 02:28 AM

I would start by contacting Avid support, very few folks here have a new Mbox. As bad a support operation it is that is where I would go.

Hopefully you are within a window to also return the interface.
Old 11-28-2022, 06:35 AM

How do you have these devices plugged into AC? Power strip? Directly into the wall?

Do you have any other devices plugged into any of the audio inputs of the Mbox Studio that are also plugged into your computer that also power cycle when you turn on the computer?

Does this happen with nothing connected to the Mbox at all except for the Mac?
Old 11-28-2022, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nednednerb View Post
And also

Indeed I just assumed that was known SOP

To the OP you might try re updating the MBOX Firmware and re download the control app OR if you can run it without the control app see if that stops the issue

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 11-28-2022, 10:51 AM

I understand the OP doesn't appreciate the pops...

However, I so determinedly expect pops from interfaces going on and off I ALWAYS turn my amp and speakers off when rebooting/booting computer and interfaces.

So, I expect pops. This doesn't seem like a problem. Leaving the speakers on seems like the problem. The fact other interfaces and other computers in other AC conditions didn't behave exactly the same doesn't change my mind for a second about the order of powering up devices.

So what is the problem exactly other than not liking pops when not leaving the speakers off when you should do so according to standards of practice for such equipment?

It's kind of like "it hurts when I do this" --- "so stop doing that." The pops don't occur when the speakers are off, correct? Hence the practice.

"You should always expect quiet and few pops" is not my answer, anyway.
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //
Old 11-28-2022, 01:06 PM
Avid

This is part of the initialization process when you first boot MBOX Studio up so no need to troubleshoot. I'll look into in further and see if we have an option to mute it.

Thanks for the feedback.
JW