Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 01-31-2023, 03:13 AM

Default Is this a bug? MIDI quantize

Hello all! It’s been awhile. Quick question? I can’t seem to input MIDI notes on a 1/32 grid without changing real time properties quantize settings. Is this bug or am I missing something?
Old 01-31-2023, 05:09 PM

Default Re: Is this a bug? MIDI quantize

Firstly, what version of PT and OS?

Update: I perused your profile and can see your system specs.

I recall a recent bug fix listed in the 2022.7 release notes. Something about 1/32 notes.
Not sure if it's related to the same issue.

Listed under Editing:

Quantize using Follow Bars|Beats Grid now accepts grid values smaller than 1/32 (PT-288837)

Hopefully not still happening?

Pro Tools Studio 2022.7|Windows 10 22H2|Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd Gen)|Dell Inspiron 3650|Intel i5 6th gen|16GB RAM|Samsung T5 SSD's|Hitachi|Touro HDD

Toontrack EZdrummer 3|Steven Slate Drums 5.5 + Blackbird Studio EX|Spectrasonics Trilian|Native Instruments Guitar Rig 6

Waves|SSL Native|Fabfilter|Softube|Soundtoys|Nomad Factory

Last edited by take77; 02-01-2023 at 04:27 PM.
Old 01-31-2023, 05:27 PM

Weird I thought I put my system details info. It’s pro tools 2022.12. I will double check to see if I’m missing something but I think the bug is still there.
Old 01-31-2023, 05:38 PM

That's OK, I misread your issue and the release notes.
I see you're trying to enter 1/32 notes and not adjusting grid settings.
I remembered some type of 1/32 note issue/fix in recent release notes.
So when I saw your question, I went: "Ooo! Ooo!" [eagerly raising my hand to answer like Horshack from Welcome Back Kotter]...

Steps to repro?

Pro Tools Studio 2022.7|Windows 10 22H2|Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd Gen)|Dell Inspiron 3650|Intel i5 6th gen|16GB RAM|Samsung T5 SSD's|Hitachi|Touro HDD

Toontrack EZdrummer 3|Steven Slate Drums 5.5 + Blackbird Studio EX|Spectrasonics Trilian|Native Instruments Guitar Rig 6

Last edited by take77; 02-03-2023 at 03:50 PM.
Old 01-31-2023, 09:38 PM

Let’s see if I can explain this clearly. So create a VI of any drum or whatever you have. Show real time properties in the main arrangement on your Drum track. Click the quantize button to 1/16. It automatically quantizes your tracks if you have in on. I usually have this on in my template so I don’t have to manually quantize. Now go to the midi editor and try to draw in 1/32 or whatever you like. Say you wanna add say hi hats that are 1/32 in the midi editor. Note values seem to snap to the real time properties quantize notes. Makes sense?
Old 02-02-2023, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmusic View Post
Let’s see if I can explain this clearly. So create a VI of any drum or whatever you have. Show real time properties in the main arrangement on your Drum track. Click the quantize button to 1/16. It automatically quantizes your tracks if you have in on. I usually have this on in my template so I don’t have to manually quantize. Now go to the midi editor and try to draw in 1/32 or whatever you like. Say you wanna add say hi hats that are 1/32 in the midi editor. Note values seem to snap to the real time properties quantize notes. Makes sense?
It sounds like it is working exactly as it should. When you are using MIDI Realtime properties, it will continue to be applying those properties to the clip/track that you are working on. So since you have it set to 16th notes, any note you put in, will continue to be quantized to a 16th note spot. It is still possible to input notes to the 32nd grid if you change your preferences. Go to "Set-up - Preferences...- MIDI (Tab)... and under basics is a checkbox for "Display Events as Modified by Real-Time Properties". If you uncheck that, then when you play things on the MIDI tracks, they will show out of time, but they will play back according to the Real Time Properties that you have. So even though you will be able to now write notes on the 32nd grid, they will still play back on the 16th note grid.

For what you are trying to do, I would consider looking into using "Input Quantize" instead of realtime properties. Go to "Event - Event Operations - Input Quantize". In that window, Check the box "Input Quantize" Then set the Quantize grid to 16th note. (If you haven't already, turn off your realtime properties for Quantize). Now record some MIDI and you will see that your notes will automatically line up to the 16th Grid like it did when you were using Real Time Properties. But now since it is no longer constantly quantizing in Real Time, you can now add 32nd notes, triplets, or whatever you want.

I hope that makes sense and works for you.

One tip that I use all the time. If you use Input Quantize and you want to restore the MIDI recording to what you actually played, then in Event Operations, go to "Restore Performance" and Make sure "Timing (Quantization)" is turned on and then hit Apply. I assigned this to a keyboard shortcut so that I can quickly unquantize or restore something that has been quantized to it's original state.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 02-03-2023, 11:37 AM

Thanks Dizzi! I will try your method. It’s been awhile working in pro tools and don’t remember ever using input quantize but real time properties and it used to work how I I’m used to.
Old 02-03-2023, 08:05 PM

One other thought. You may/may not be aware that Real Time Properties can be applied to the whole track, or to individual clips of the track. For example, it is possible to have different clips on the same track using different real time properties.

You will notice that when you record something, the clip will display a "T" in the top right that represents that it is using Track Real Time Properties. However, if you had a section that you wanted to use different properties (such as 32nd notes when the rest of the track is using 16), select that section of the clip and separate it (Command-E). Then go from the Tool Bar "Event - MIDI Real Time Properties". In that window, you will see that the top of it says "Apply to". That is where you can indicate whether those properties you change will effect the full track or just the clip(s) you have selected. So if it says "Clip", then you can change the quantize setting there to 32nd notes and now the real time properties of that clip will follow 32nd note quantization. You will also notice that the clip now shows an "R" instead of a "T". I don't know what the "R" stands for (I think it is the remnants of when Pro Tools used to call clips regions), but it indicates that that clip has clip Real Time Properties applied.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 02-03-2023, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzi45Z View Post
One other thought. You may/may not be aware that Real Time Properties can be applied to the whole track, or to individual clips of the track. For example, it is possible to have different clips on the same track using different real time properties.
Thank you for taking the time to share the extra tips!

Old 02-03-2023, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by take77 View Post
Thank you for taking the time to share the extra tips!
Thank you take77 as well!