Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2009, 10:38 PM

Default 2.8.1 Standalone Won't Install/Run

I've spent the last 2.5 hours trying in vain to get 2.8.1 Standalone to install and run. I stared off using Parallels 4.0 (tried both Win 7 and XP) on an Intel Mac (Snow Leopard) and never got past a splash screen. Multiple downloads, uninstalls & reinstalls are no avail.

I upgraded to Parallels 5 to see if that was an issue. It doesn't appear to help. Now I get a message at launch that says "A critical component cannot be started. This may be due to missing or damaged files. You may have to reinstall the D-Show software if the problem persists."

I've gone through another 3-4 rounds of uninstall, download, reinstall, restart, update and just about every other thing I can think of.

Has anyone else had a similar issue, and more importantly, has anyone found a solution?

Thanks in advance!

mike sessler
technical director
Coast Hills Community Church
Old 12-20-2009, 07:34 AM

Default Re: 2.8.1 Standalone Won't Install/Run

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Sessler View Post
I've spent the last 2.5 hours trying in vain to get 2.8.1 Standalone to install and run. I stared off using Parallels 4.0 (tried both Win 7 and XP) on an Intel Mac (Snow Leopard) and never got past a splash screen. Multiple downloads, uninstalls & reinstalls are no avail.

I upgraded to Parallels 5 to see if that was an issue. It doesn't appear to help. Now I get a message at launch that says "A critical component cannot be started. This may be due to missing or damaged files. You may have to reinstall the D-Show software if the problem persists."

I've gone through another 3-4 rounds of uninstall, download, reinstall, restart, update and just about every other thing I can think of.

Has anyone else had a similar issue, and more importantly, has anyone found a solution?

Thanks in advance!

mike sessler
technical director
Mike,
I had no problem installing it in Parallels 4

Steve Powers
Old 12-20-2009, 09:31 AM

No problems here either... OS 10.6.1 Parallels with XP
Old 12-20-2009, 09:45 AM
Avid

Hi Mike,

Sorry for the frustration. Please tell us a bit more about your setup, i.e., which version of Win XP (including service pack), and also if there's anything of note about your system, such as if it's administered or has restricted permissions in any way.

Sheldon
Old 12-20-2009, 10:51 AM

I've tried it on several systems now. Here are the details:

System 1:
Current generation MacBook Pro running 10.6.2.
Parallels v.5 (also tried under Parallels 4)
XP Professional SP 2
Windows 7 RC (will be trying an official version of Ultimate later this week)

System 2:
Intel Mac Mini
Bootcamped XP Pro SP 2

Permissions for both OSs are full administrator. There are no program restrictions or other restrictions as far as I know.

System 3:
HP Notebook
Vista Home Premium SP1

Systems 1&2 exhibit the same issues. The GUI won't launch and I get a dialog telling me a critical component cannot be started.

System 3 installed without a problem and runs fine.

I've tried v. 2.8.1 and v.2.8 (had the installer from the previous install) under Win 7 and can't get past the splash screen or the "can't launch" dialog.

At first I thought it might be an issue with Snow Leopard on my MacBook Pro, but when it wouldn't install on the Bootcamped Mac Mini, that kind of went out the window.

Oddly, I had 2.8 running in Win 7 until a few weeks ago when it stopped launching. I was hoping 2.8.1 would restore functionality.

Thanks in advance for the help.

mike

Last edited by Mike Sessler; 12-20-2009 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Added permissions info.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:10 PM
Avid

Thanks for the detailed info. To help further narrow this down please try downloading and installing D-Show 2.7.1, available from the downloads page. Be sure to uninstall any previous version of 2.8 before installing 2.7. Report back on how it goes...

Sheldon
Old 12-20-2009, 06:42 PM

Sheldon,
I downloaded 2.7 Standalone in both XP and Win 7 RC.

In Win 7, I got to the splash screen, and then a blank window (screenshot). The program froze and never went beyond that.

In XP, the program launched and ran fine. As I started clicking around, I noticed that the channels were all labeled just like they were the last time I played with it in Win 7. I looked in Filing and sure enough, there was my old show (created in 2.8). Then I realized that I was sharing my profile in Parallels, and the D-Show folder was on my Mac User Directory.

I had turned that off in Win 7 to see if that was causing a problem. I went back to Win 7, removed the old D-Show folder from my Mac User Directory and turned share profile back on (thinking it would create a new D-Show folder w/ demo shows and such). It did, but still hung at the blank window.

To test, I've tried turning share profile on and off and deleting the D-Show folder from the Documents directory (both on Mac and in the Windows "C" drive). No difference.

So apparently, that isn't a deciding factor at this point. Still puzzled. But we didn't get a component not installed message... So maybe we're making progress.

Thanks for the help!
mike
Old 12-20-2009, 06:55 PM

I've got an issue too. Just tried it on XP running on bootcamp. Uninstalled all digi components then new install of 2.8. Stops at critical error can't run GUI.... 2.7 is fine.
I uninstalled at control panel. Deleted all Digi files. Reinstalled, restarted, etc. Same error. I've got the most updated XP software so... Is it some C+ conflict?
Old 12-20-2009, 09:12 PM
Avid

Thanks everyone. Just to make sure we're all on the same page, D-Show software isn't considered fully qualified on Win 7, nor do we do regular testing of installations using Bootcamp, Parallels or Fusion.

We'll consider adding these other platforms in the future, but first need to better understand what might be going on with these few incidents. My hope is that there's a simple explanation, but when multiple platforms and operating systems are involved one never knows...

Sheldon
Old 12-20-2009, 11:20 PM

Thanks, Sheldon.

Let me know if there is any other info you need that would be helpful to sort this out. We're hoping to leave the world of Yamaha behind in 2010, and being able to run the software under Parallels or Fusion (since Macs are pretty much all we use) would be fantastically helpful for building weekend show files.

I'll keep plunking around to see if I can sort anything out as well.

mike sessler
technical director