Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2009, 05:07 PM

Default Re: Report you PT8 exp. here

Yeah I did that. I'm going to use the utility program and see what happens. Don't get me wrong, I love this version. As you are very aware, there is always some bugs with a new release. I expect them from any software.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:23 PM

Upgraded from PC to MAC with the following set up:
PTLE 8
13.3" MacBook 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.5.6
External OWC 320GB 7200rpm HD
Mbox 2 mini

Everything works fine after upgrading the RAM to 4GB. No complaints. I will keep udpating as I run into errors and add tracks and instruments.

DigiTech - not sure why this MacBook model is not in the approved list? It is the early 2008 13.3" MacBook models MB403LL/A.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:05 AM

I have upgraded PT7.4 to PT8 without any problems and it appears to run fine on all my 7.4 sessions, loads of tracks, loads of digi and 3rd party plug-ins. First impressions are really satisfactory. I wanted the new toys, but not as much as I didn't want trouble, so I'm pleased to have gotten through it ok.

I see that so many are having difficulties and maybe my experience is a useful reference.

I am running XP Home SP2 on a dual core, digi compliant PC. These are the steps I took (it took me a while to assemble this list from the DUC and various digi docs, and this is certainly more thorough than the digi "upgarding to PT8" pdf, which doesn't seem very thorough to me.)

- take an acronis backup of c: drive, for disaster recovery
- export/save the following settings files: IO settings (.pio), midi studio settings (.dms)
- make a note/take screen grabs of: preferences, peripherals, hardware engine
- close PT7.4 and switch off interface (003 rack in my case)
- use the uninstall pro tools.exe utility that downloaded with PT8 to uninstall PT7.4
- delete DAE and Pro Tools preferences: Start Menu > My Computer > Local Disk(C:) or correct hard drive (click "show the contents of this drive" if the files aren't displayed) > Program Files > Common Files > Digidesign > DAE > Right-click on the DAE Prefs folder and delete. Then Start Menu > My Computer > Local Disk(C:) > Documents and Settings > "Your user folder" > Application Data > Right-click on the Digidesign folder and delete. (If the Application Data folder is not showing: Tools Menu > Folder Options > View Tab > Select "Show Hidden Files and Folders" > Click Apply and OK.)
- Delete digidesign databases Start Menu > My Computer > Local Disk (C:) > Digidesign Databases > Right-click on the Digidesign Databases folder and delete. Repeat for all hard drives. And Start menu > My Computer > Local Disk (C:) > Program Files > Digidesign > Pro Tools > Databases > Right-click on the Volumes folder and delete
- switch off PC
- switch on interface (003rack)
- power up PC
- Install PT8 (run setup.exe)
- Wait a long time and try not to bite all your nails. Do what the on-screen prompts tell you.
- Enter auhtorization code when prompted
- Arrive at PT8 !!
- NOTE: I have a prompt telling me my 003 firmware is not the latest, but for now I have not updated it, and it all seesm to work fine.
- Open a blank session
- Import/reinstate IO settings, Midi studio settings, Hardware Engine and Preference settings.
- Create new midi tracks and reinstate any midi device files (.midnam)
- Open a previous 7.4 session and away you go

Worked for me - hope this is useful to someone.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humpback View Post
Installed 8 on my MBP (see specs for it pasted below) to play around with. Seems to be behaving so far (even seems to be handling T-Racks 3, which murdered the G5; could only use it in stand alone on the tower) in sessions with low track counts and not a load of plugs. No real hiccups, and the D-Verb sounds really good now - was there a revision of it for 8? I usually just put one on real quick as a scratch to get an idea of how verb will sound on a part, and then use hardware — if I can — to get better sounds, but wow! Anyway, I will open more processor heavy stuff in a bit to do more thorough tests on this machine...

But — have this strange error when trying to save a session (this session was originally created in 7.4.2):

could not 14400 because (-50) while moving "hggpVFJBwhhdBQMW" to "WL TRACK FOR S_D.PTF"

Never seen this one before! Now, the "hggpVFJBwhhdBQMW" noted above seems to be a fade file type name (maybe?), but I don't have any fades in this session. Odd. any thoughts, digi or anybody else? It will not let me save at all...

BTW, it was a clean install, then trashed prefs and repaired permissions again after install.

OS X 10.5.5
Model Name: MacBook Pro 17"
Model Identifier: MacBookPro2,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.33 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
Memory: 3 GB
MBox 2 Pro
CPTK

Pro is connected to SIIG card, have FW800 external drive, no USB devices other than the ilok.

The specs in the signature are for my G5, and are not part of this experience — I'll wait out any initial bugs before plopping 8 on my primary rig.

Best

Nathan
Nathan or Anyone,

Did you find a solution to your can't save problem? I have been using PT8 now for a couple of months, and just got that error today. The can't save 14400 (-50) error. Anyone know what that is?

Thanks,

Joel
Old 02-24-2009, 01:36 AM

Hi,

Is there someone who tried PT 8 with the new Macbook Pro 17'' 2.93 Ghz?
Thanks!
Old 02-24-2009, 06:44 AM

Unhappy Re: Report you PT8 exp. here

After numerous attempts to sort out the issues with PT 8 and leopard I have decided to go back to a PT 7.4.2 and OS 10.4.11 based system.

Cant get rid of the buffer errors no matter what i try.
Have tried everything suggested on this forum.
Also PT crashes while opening a sessions for some reason! who knows!

Cpu overload with two plugins! , give me break!

I do a hell of alot of Toontrack drum programming, and PT 8 has deemed these expensive programs useless with all the graphical errors.

I am running a G5 Dual 2ghz with 6gig of ram ,Mbox 2 pro.

I could run huge sessions with PT 7.4 , and now with PT 8 it feels like im trying use my computer to launch a space ship.

Pretty sad since PT 8 has some many great features , But i am a musician not a IT tech , When i spend time on my computer i want to be making music not trying to fix bugs.

I will eagerly await PT 8 to be bug free enough to work with.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:23 AM

I have spend about 40 hours on PT 8 and it is not ready for Prime Time in my opinion, but I have used it successfully for mixing, or other work when no clients are attending. Main problem is it does not play nice with many of the 3rd party RTAS Virtual Instrument plugins (EZ drummer is hell, with GUI freezes/stops working and it is my main drum tool for writing sessions).

I was hoping to like the new graphics, but I find it a lot slower to operate and it is too cluttered. So many little things, one example: you can barely tell if a track is set as solo safe. I think it can become a nice interface, but there are a lot of things to tweak.

Something is very different with the editing of regions/midi/audio with the multi-tool. I do things so instinctively I do not even know what has changed, I just know it is different and a real pain/slowdown as I stumble around instead of gliding productively with ease.

The lanes for track parameters/automation and Playlist view are huge gains. . . although many people would say "about frickin' time" as many have been asking for these "no-brainer" features for over a decade. Glad they are here now. . . now let's fix what has been broke!
Old 02-27-2009, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howardk View Post
I have spend about 40 hours on PT 8 and it is not ready for Prime Time in my opinion, but I have used it successfully for mixing, or other work when no clients are attending. Main problem is it does not play nice with many of the 3rd party RTAS Virtual Instrument plugins (EZ drummer is hell, with GUI freezes/stops working and it is my main drum tool for writing sessions).
Did you install the cs2 update?
Two hard drives
10GB RAM
OS X 10.5.8
Axiom Pro 61