Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 04-29-2019, 04:22 AM

Default Re: Premiere Pro AAF to PT

Ok. I see. Thanks. So i'll check Ediload & Kraken (which offers a 30day trial)

Béla Brandes | www.bbsounddesign.de
Old 04-29-2019, 12:19 PM

I got enough metadata from Premiere to use the field recorder workflow, when the editor used these settings in Premiere aaf export:

Mixdown video: no

Breakout to Mono: yes
Render audio clip effects: no

Sample Rate: 48000

Bits per Sample: 24

Files: Separate Audio
Preserve media directory name: no

Format: Broadcast Wave

Render: Copy Complete Audio Files

You will get an AAF with separate media files folder, and they need to be relinked using "find by name" option when opening the session.

This used to work at least a couple of months ago, I hope Adobe didn't break it since that.
Old 04-29-2019, 12:32 PM

True, that's possible. But if the editor for whatever reason chose to create "multicamclips" for syncing multichannel wave files to video files, the files in the AAF get new TCs, metadata etc. There is no way to relink the rushes to those new files. If I understood a friend of mine who edits on Premiere right it is a common misunderstanding of "multicamclips" that editors use it to sync multichannel wave file to one video file. Of course it's been build to link video files of a multi camera setup together for live editing.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henningaround View Post
True, that's possible. But if the editor for whatever reason chose to create "multicamclips" for syncing multichannel wave files to video files, the files in the AAF get new TCs, metadata etc. There is no way to relink the rushes to those new files. If I understood a friend of mine who edits on Premiere right it is a common misunderstanding of "multicamclips" that editors use it to sync multichannel wave file to one video file. Of course it's been build to link video files of a multi camera setup together for live editing.
From what I've seen multicam is the way that Adobe recommends syncing sound to video for workflows that include going to Pro Tools, they did a presentation at IBC 2018 that you can see here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FC7CPh-y454, the section about multicam syncing starts at around 9 minutes in.

As far as I'm aware merge is the method that can strip metadata from sound files, but I have been able to get enough metadata through to use field recorder workflow if the editor uses the settings that tklaavo mentioned.

The one thing I tend to do though is drop the AAF file into the folder of sound files that are generated, that seems to usually avoid having to do any relinking.

Although I do routinely get the issue where it says I'm missing a load of files but everything in the AAF is present!

Having said all that, the last feature I did that was edited in PP I had to use Ediload as well as the AAF as some clips in the AAF came through with enough metadata intact to use FRW whilst some were completely stripped. Seemed the ones that were stripped had been renamed so still not got to the bottom of that one...

michaelfbates.com

imdb.com/name/nm4876413
Old 05-04-2019, 09:23 AM

Merged clips were indeed a big problem in Premiere in regards to metadata coming over. I haven't checked the latest versions to see if it's any better.
Old 05-04-2019, 10:54 AM

Merged is a no no. Renaming is a no no. If you can keep the editor inside these parameters you've got a good chance of having an easyish conform.
Mac M1 Studio Ultra 64GB RAM OSX 13.6, PT Ultimate 2023.12 HDn, MTRX Studio, 2x Avid S1, PT Dock...
Old 05-04-2019, 04:17 PM

A couple of earlier threads on this. http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=389425 tells my tale of how it was far easier to abandon the AAF completely at conform from the EDL using EdiLoad - never could get Source Timecode out using an AAF. This http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=394167 tells that getting names on clips is possible, and I'll re-paste what my editor's magic combination was:

---

In terms of exporting AAFs, I just did the following:

File > export AAF > check ‘’breakout to mono’’ ENABLE and then everything is as it should be.

If you want to play with the available handles you can click on the dropdown menu next to ‘’Render’’ and change it to ‘’Trim audio files’’ after which you can input your desired handles on the embedded media.

The thing to be careful with is how you treat your audio in your edit, DON’T MERGE CLIPS, we synced the audio and video by creating multicam clips, then at the end of the edit we had to ‘’flatten’’ all the audio (and video) in the sequences before exporting the relevant files - this is done by highlighting al the multicam clips in the sequence, right clicking and going to ''multi-camera'' and clicking on ‘’flatten’’. This changes the synced audio from a synced clips to its original audio source and therefore is the correct file to embed in the AAF.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 05-06-2021, 06:56 AM

Just resurrecting this thread to say thank you Guy, that's really helpful info!

Also to post a hopefully helpful warning.

I've just updated to PT Ultimate 2021.3 and picture editor has updated to Premiere 2021.

Working with them on continuing series (we both updated in downtime between seasons) and the same settings we'd always used for Premiere AAFs stopped working.

Not just issues on import but when selecting AAF file in Import Session Data it wouldn't even open the Import Session Data options window. Just threw up a progress bar that said Opening OMF/AAF and PT beachballed and froze until force quit.

Eventually narrowed it down that editor removing all video tracks from his timeline before AAF export fixed it and now all working as before.

Just thought I'd put this up here as I searched around yesterday and couldn't find anyone else having this problem so hopefully this helps someone else.

michaelfbates.com

imdb.com/name/nm4876413
Old 05-08-2021, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou View Post
Merged clips were indeed a big problem in Premiere in regards to metadata coming over. I haven't checked the latest versions to see if it's any better.
My understanding is this:

If there are merged clips, the video tracks should be emptied before exporting the audio AAF. I'm not 100% sure if it means just removing the video clips or actually deleting the video tracks (I'm not a Premiere user myself)

And the good export settings:

Mixdown video: no

Breakout to Mono: yes
Render audio clip effects: no

Sample Rate: 48000

Bits per Sample: 24

Files: Separate Audio
Preserve media directory name: no

Format: Broadcast Wave

Render: Copy Complete Audio Files (or handles of your choice)

With these instructions I've been able to receive working AAF's with correct audio metadata (if it was in the audio files in the first place).

Hope this helps.
T
Old 05-27-2021, 07:27 PM
Quiet Art Ltd.

We use embedded media with trimmed audio.
Last few versions of Premiere (2020, 2021) so far have been good with this.

WaveRider + Defaulter (now with LKFS)
QuietArt.co.nz

Catchin' SYNC app