Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2005, 10:04 AM

Default WAV file compatibility

Hay guys,

I have to deliver .WAV files to a client that I've exported from a 5.3.1 sesson on mac OS9.2.
Evidently they're having problems opening them and playing them on their PCs. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what they're using to try to play these. I'm assuming there is a stock player in Windows format that will usually play WAV sound files--as you can tell, I'm not too PC savvy.

Question is; is there a specific way of exporting files out of a PT session from a MAC so they're compatible with all players on either platform. I know there is an issue with file name length. What are the specifics??

Thanks,

--Barry
Old 03-23-2005, 10:24 AM

Default Re: WAV file compatibility

there shouldbe an aissue. you could export as broadcast waves but thats only for timestamp info (I think). I bet there is an issue with their session sample rate, etc.
Old 03-23-2005, 05:53 PM

Barry,

I don't quite remember 5.1.3 but I'm pretty sure that if you do s "Save session Copy" in the save choices, you can (at least in PT 6) tell pro tools to save the copy of the files with the choice of Mac/PC compatibility. Usually that's done at the beginning of the session, but you can change it later with that command. Also, make sure that they are broadcast wave files as they are the only ones that are truly compatible on both platforms. The other way to do it is to import session data (Open a new session and use that command, and again, I don't remember if PT 5.1.3 has that option) but from that window, you can change or choose most anything about your session work. I just don't think that you have that second option on PT 5.1.3 Good luck! Scott
Old 03-23-2005, 06:27 PM

Quote:
The other way to do it is to import session data (Open a new session and use that command, and again, I don't remember if PT 5.1.3 has that option) but from that window, you can change or choose most anything about your session work.
v5.1.3 has an import tracks command. It imports everything, unlike import session data, which allows you to be selective.

Worst case scenario would involve opening the files they claim to have a problem with in QuickTime and then exporting from QuickTime as a WAV file. I have seen situations where a file had to be exported to the format it was (i.e. open a WAV and export as WAV) to fix odd problems, but they are rare, and odd.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:20 PM

don't forget to name your files- filename.wav

also, try not to have more than one "." in the name. Also don't name the files with non-standard ascii

do not use "/" or "\" or "." or other non-standard letters or numbers... you can use "-" and "_"

and always .wav at the end of the files.

hope this helps.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:28 PM

Yeah that's what I thought...thanks for the reminder. I remember how I was waiting and waiting for Digi to come out with the more complete "Import Session Data" command. Way cooler! Thanks Jonathan.