Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2003, 11:28 PM

Default Help Please?!?

Pretty Soon I will be buying Pro Tools.I have been doing some research for awhile now and I still dont know which product I should buy! I have been using ACID 4.0, Giga Studio and Sound Forge for a loooong time now! I got a crew of good producers and MC'S but the overall quality of my tracks are not really cutting it! So basically since most of you guys own Pro Tools, maybe you can give me A bit of real good advice? Here's the current specs that are on my PC now. HP Pavillion 7955, 1.5ghz Pentium 4
Processor, 512mb SDRAM, 40GB Ultra DMA Hard Drive, 32mb nVidiaTNT2 M64 Graphics Card w/32mb SDRAM, Windows XP Home Edition, AudioPhile 24/96 Sound Card. I got no more PCI Slots Available " I can always take out that dinosaur better known as the 56k Modem [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ... Oh Yeah its also manditory that the piece of equiptment has MIDI Capability's..And yes I do have a IEEE/1394 on my PC [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] . If you have any good advice please let me know. I know how it is when a salesmen sells you something then you go home all excited just to find out that it wont work unless you buy another piece of equiptment. [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] So if anyone can help I would be so greatful !!!!!!!
OWC Mercury Elite 120GB Hard Drive
M-Box PT 6.1.2
Korg Triton
MidiSport 1x1
Event TR8 Powered Monitors
Old 02-12-2003, 01:40 AM

Default Re: Help Please?!?

I don't know f**k all about PC's but if that sound card has an ADAT on it and your all out of PCI slots i'd say go with the 002 and run the other software you have into PT from the second sound card via ADAT,,,you could do the same thing with the 001,,but you'll need to loose that modem,,,I'm a MAC guy,,but from what i can see,,thems your options,,theres also the M-BOX,,but i'm guessing you want as many Ins and Outs as you can get,,
Old 02-12-2003, 08:12 AM

Your HP Pavillion pretty much rules out the 001. It's listed under Known Incompatibilities.
Don't see the same disclaimer with Mbox or 002, so it must have something to do with the PCI bus.
Good Luck-
Old 02-12-2003, 09:49 AM

Thanks For replying to my message! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
So now im down to the Digi002 and the MBOX.
Mbox seems alot cheaper than the Digi 002.
But I have read in some places that MBOX supports MIDI, And I read that MBOX Doesnt support MIDI??
I looked at the back of the MBOX and I seen no MIDI I/O ??? Whats the deal? I have also read that if I got the Digi 002 it will " not " be compatible with any other Digidesign control surface?? Im sorry for asking so much questions but if I were to ask a salesmen at my nearest Guitar Center or Sam Ash , I know there gonna feed me a bunch of " B.S " just to make a sale. The other question I have is that lets say I did buy either the Digi002 Or the MBOX and next year I switch from PC to MAC, would my current hardware be compatible? Or would I have to buy another Digi 002 or MBOX? Also when I make the purchase, do I really have to buy the DIGIDRIVE
to start using my new Pro Tools? Or can I use my Crive for awhile? Im hoping someone would get back to me [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Thanks Alot Guys!
M-Box PT 6.1.2
Korg Triton
MidiSport 1x1
Old 02-12-2003, 10:13 AM

Hey red - I would consider getting a new comp. if possible for your setup. 1.5GHZ on a P4 will not get you all the processing you will want, especially if you go with the 002/96K... You don't need the digidrive, but you will need a second hard drive on a second IDE channel. You can build a new box pretty cheap these days using AMD stuff. check the "allen machine" out. Mine cost about $800 to build, and I can run more plugs than I need. (its all about headroom, right?). If you get an 001 and a new comp, you will have spent less than the cost of just the 002, and have a pretty screamin' rig. Add a motor mix or equivalent and yer all good (unless higher samplerates are super important to you). You can still use your old PC for Gigastudio (very cool way to go). That's my $.02
Old 02-12-2003, 10:48 AM

So in other words my current PC is crap [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] .. Where can I find this Allen Machine that your talking about??
M-Box PT 6.1.2
Korg Triton
MidiSport 1x1
Old 02-12-2003, 11:33 AM

allen machine

Check this out.
Old 02-12-2003, 11:50 AM

I would consider changing your handle! If you lived in a communist country you'd be thinking about where your next meal was coming from, not which ProTools to buy.
WD EIDE 10GB
WD EIDE 250GB
XP Pro SP1
ProTools LE 6.4
Old 02-12-2003, 11:58 AM

Umm Homerg? I need advice on Pro Tools. If you dont have any then please keep your comments to yourself. By the way its just a Login Name and If you read my profile I live in Los Angeles California which is not a communist country. To the rest of you guys that helped me out Thanks Alot! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I really appreciate all your feedback, you guys are very helpful!
M-Box PT 6.1.2
Korg Triton
MidiSport 1x1
Old 02-12-2003, 07:06 PM

Remember the Mbox is only 2in 2out... that's it.

[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

1.25 Alu/1.5 ram/10.3.4
PTLE 6.4-002R-Live-Reason