Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2001, 07:27 AM

Default audio career advice?

I am 24 and am ordering a mixplus and 1622 to use as my mixer from within logic audio. I have always been personally fascinated by different music productions and am looking to get a 'foot in the door' in a studio this year. Here in New Zealand I think the money is in doing audio for adverts etc.
I want to ask the pro's on this list for some advice on how the industry works and how I can make money. My personal motivation has always been to produce music. How much does the average daw operator get ($US or otherwise)
Is there more money in advertising or soundtracks than music. And lastly what are the oppurtunities like in the US.
I've been obsessed with music ever since but have just watched a bbc doco on the IT industry and thought it might be more realistic to get into IT training.
Peace.
Old 02-19-2001, 03:55 PM

Default Re: audio career advice?

Most musicians I know in the advertizing side of music make lots of money but HATE it. Working on 14 second slots of music along side advertising idiots is thier personal idea of hell. Film music is MURDER to get into.
Jules
www.gearslutz.com
Old 02-19-2001, 04:18 PM

I sell computer technology to the entertainment industry. I have sales, recording, and computer backgrounds. Today, audio and video production requires technical knowledge. I think you should start with formal technical training, and use it to try to get into a job that is music related.

The music industry in the US is going to be focused towards the big cities. Los Angeles blows everywhere else away. They own Pro Tools systems like they're toaster ovens.

Old 02-20-2001, 03:01 AM

I can vouch for that: I have three Pro Tools systems, and I don't even own a toaster oven.

Old 02-20-2001, 07:11 AM

Roman,

I went to a well known recording school and after 10 years of consistant employment in the industry, I'm still not sure if it was worth the investment. As with any field, 90% of my current knowledge has come from on the job training.

That being said, Gulliver is also right. You REALLY need a solid technical foundation.

I personally stopped doing much pure music 3 years ago because the hours were killing me and weren't justified by the dollars. So I've come over to the "Dark Side" and do mostly ads and corporate work. I love it because You don't to spend weeks on the same job. Most every project I do is in and out in hours or days.
Of course, the advantage to doing records at the beginning of your career is that you DO spend so much time on them and can really learn. So it's a catch 22.

One thing I will add is this (and yes this will be cliche' filled); If you're looking to get rich, get into another field. If you want to do something you love, and are willing to struggle for a few years (I didn't make over 30k USD until my 5th year) this is a field where you can do it. I enjoy going to work everyday because I love it.

Have fun,

Frank
Old 02-21-2001, 07:17 PM

The corporate, advertising and film/TV world is a lot more solid (unfortunately) than the purely artistic music side. To "make it" as a music engineer/producer, your odds are a lot like trying to make it as musician. Of course nothing is ever possible unless you try first...
Old 02-22-2001, 01:50 AM

Like Roman,
I love music to. I have a commercial facility in Fresno, Ca. I just added a Pro Tools mixplus system. I have ran this studio for 7 years now, and I am still trying to a living at it. Most of my training had been trial and error. I do read all the mags, books, and get info online. But how can someone like me get an opportunity to take engineerring to the next level? To get a shot being a second for someone that is a great engineer? I have read numerous artilces of big time engineer/producers that have said they had great engineers that took them under there wing, and showed them the ropes. I am definitely in this for the long run, but how do I take it to the next level. Maybe where I will like something I've mixed?

------------------
Thanks and God BLess!
Y.B.I.C.
Bill
Old 02-23-2001, 03:16 PM

With non-linear recording, much has changed with audio engineering. If you want to gamble a little, try to predict where you see it going and work towards that vision.

In the future, I see a great need for engineers who can create all sides of an audio/video production. Websites will be more like TV commercials - but they will need to be updated weekly. I think the man who can wear all the hats will have a lot of dollars in his pocket.

Just a thought.

[This message has been edited by Gulliver (edited February 23, 2001).]