Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 03-15-2023, 06:05 AM

Default "Strip silence" or similar on midi. Is it possible?

Hi,

The function "Strip silence" as such seams to not work on midi, even in the Clip mode.

Is there any non-wanking method to quickly get rid of all the empty parts of the Clip blocks?

Of course, it's not the same as with audio, because there is always empty space and silence between midi notes. So I mean mainly/or basically the detecting and then the cleaning of all emptiness before the first note and after the last.

(Check the attached pic.)

Thanx in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Strip silence on midi.jpg (54.7 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by DigitalVortex; 03-15-2023 at 07:02 AM.
Old 03-15-2023, 01:20 PM

Default Re: "Strip silence" or similar on midi. Is it possible?

Just my preference, but for midi, I would simply use the TRIM tool(in GRID mode) to trim the clips for "house cleaning", but I would not dig too deeply as it serves no purpose(to me). The "Strip Silence" function(to me) is about removing low-level noise in audio tracks, and midi/instrument tracks have no noise to worry about. My other preference is to set midi/instrument tracks to show notes(except when I need to copy/paste clips)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-17-2023, 08:51 AM

Nope :) Not practical.
Old 06-26-2023, 05:22 PM

I think you could take the midi track, convert it to audio. group the two tracks. then use strip silence on the audio track. After getting your settings to where you want them, use the Separate function to just cut your desired clips. then you are able to select the audio bits you "didn't want" (while the tracks are grouped) and it will select the same zone in the midi track and you can hit delete.
Old 06-29-2023, 04:40 PM

Help me out here as I still am unclear on why this is desired(20+ years in and am still learning)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-29-2023, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Help me out here as I still am unclear on why this is desired(20+ years in and am still learning)
For instance, they may ask "is there something going on there in the production?" Then the visibility or absence of a clip boundary clears that up instantly, just like for audio.

At least for the note onset, not necessarily decay or tail of MIDI instruments (just like reverb or delay between visible audio clips with silence stripped).

I wouldn't see a reason for me to do this either. But everyone's workflow is unique. And there could be significant advantages to some work needs.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //