Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2011, 11:32 AM

Default Pro Tools LE 8 crashes when trying to load new or existing session

Hey guys,

I hope you all can help me with this issue. I've been scouring this forum all morning and have tried just about everything that has been suggested.

Specs:
iMac Intel Core Duo 2.4 GHz with 2GB Ram
OS X Leopard 10.5.8
Pro Tools 8.0 (same problem with 8.0.1 update)
Digi002 Rack

Background: Pro Tools 8 has worked beautifully in the past with the exact same hardware/software setup that I'm currently running. About a month ago, I had an OS X crash. I was able to access the drive by booting up as an external drive and plugging into another mac so I copied all my important stuff as well as the two application support folders onto an external and did a fresh install of Leopard including the combo update to 10.5.8. Once I restored the files I copied to the external, I re-installed my larger apps including Pro Tools and it was then that the problem started.

Problem: After fresh install, Pro Tools LE 8 will open fine, but when I either create a new session or open an existing session, it gets to where the edit/mix windows first appear (no actual graphics though, just white window), then swirly wheel and unexpectedly quits.

Steps taken to troubleshoot:
1) followed all the optimization/troubleshooting steps on the general troubleshooting page. no change.
2) re-installed Pro Tools 8. no change.
3) installed Pro Tools 8.0.1 update. no change.
4) uninstalled and trashed anything related to Pro Tools and Digidesign. Installed Pro Tools 7.4. works perfectly. Installed Pro Tools 8, problem returned.
5) re-installed OS X 10.5.8 combo update, dumped all digi-related database/preference files, repaired permissions, restarted and reset PRAM. no change.
6) Drag Re-Wire plugin to different folder just to say I tried that. No change.

I don't think it is related to 3rd party plugins, because all this is happening on a fresh install with no other 3rd party plugins installed. I'm at a loss at this point. Does anyone have some advice?

Also, here is the crash report in case that helps...

http://www.grassrootsaudio.com/ptcr.txt

The problem seems to revolve around a crash in Thread 0.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:26 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools LE 8 crashes when trying to load new or existing session

*UPDATE:* I decided to start fresh and backed up my system again and did a fresh install of OS X 10.5.8. But instead of dragging everything back over from the drive, I just did a fresh install of Pro Tools. Still having the problem..

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!