Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2009, 03:14 PM

Default PT critically low on memory WHY!!!!

I have been getting this "PT Critically low on memory, save your session because I am going to crash, then re-start etc,etc". I have not made any changes or additions to my system at all, no new plugins, no new video, not even a new session...I am working on the same film mix and all of the sudden this begins to happen. I am running a fast 8 core, with 6 gigs or RAM, video on a separate dedicated drive, audio files spread over 2 drives...so..why is this happening!

It always seems to happens after I "auditioned" and imported files from the "workspace" (as when I audition sound effects and drag them into the time line from the work space). Also, as I bring in more sound effects, it now takes a very long time (have not actually timed it but it seems forever) for PT to accept these files. Now, as I bring these files in, I get the beach ball, and I have to wait, and wait, and wait until PT draws the waveform and lets me continue working. While I am waiting for PT to do whatever it needs to do to let me play these files and continue my work, the ADC compensation indicator just below the TC indicator turns red.

I have deleted all unused regions, made a copy of the session (copy session in) to make it smaller, and have re-booted many times (I also get the XoXo buss error whatever quite a bit).

Is anybody doing full features (140 tracks+) getting these type of things?

PT 8.03, Mac 8 core, 6 RAM, approved plugs only.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:14 PM

Default Re: PT critically low on memory WHY!!!!

I have been working on an independent feature for some time now on 8.0.3pr (I believe that is your version) 140ish tracks, six reels on one session, not heavy on plugs without any problems at all.

I am on LE, I don't know what you are on. I use miniminer for sfx import so my sfx workflow differs. I have zero problems and have cut the dial, adr, foley, and spotted and cut the sfx, leveled and did lite eq prior to the pre-dubs. Pre dubs will be on a HD system in the studio. I have conformed at least five times.

Through the entire process I never had to reboot or even restart to "refresh the system". I am no "techie" and I am not sure what your problem is and I am sorry you are having difficulties. Just letting you know that a stable system is possible with snow leopard and 8.0.3pr. Wishing you the best.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:13 PM

I am on an HD2 accel. This year I am on my 6th feature film (140+ tracks each, 5 or 6 reels each, use only TDM or Digi approved plugs *I do use some RTAS to reduce voice count*, no VI instruments, and no elastic audio). For me, it seems that as the sessions get heavier, something happens to the memory of the system that causes this "running out memory" problem. There is no reason why on a fast 8 core Mac, using about 160 voices (not all playing at the same time), without ever maxing out the CPU or the PCI (these are running at under 30%), and the Mac activity indicator is barely moving, this would happen.

It is also possible that there is something else happening and PT is reporting the wrong message like the "low memory" may be should be another message. I do get a few assertion errors, as well as bus thread XoXO whatever error. When I was in PT 7.4 under tiger, I did 6 or 7 feature films, with similar track/voice count, and I never had these problems. At that time I had a G5 (much, much, slower really about 1/2 the machine I have now), so it is difficult to understand why this is happening now, other than there may be a memory leak somewhere in the software?.

I don't think there is anything a user can do (like user error) to create a "out of memory so I'll crash error". I mean, how do I prevent that? put more memory...sure I'll drop another 6, 12 gig whatever BUT...that is not going to solve this problem as this is really not a "out of memory error as in PUT more RAM error". Thanks for your reply, may be AVID can chime in or may be someone else has seen this problem and has a solution?

One thing I do have that is not approved is a Blackmagic intensity Pro card.

G
Old 11-17-2009, 08:45 PM

I hope you don't mind my suggestions, remember I am not a "techie" and I know our systems are very different, yet we share a common task. That being said I know this does not directly relate to memory but try running the playback engine on seven cores with CPU usage limit about 70% allocated to each core. Give it a try.

Try running the activity monitor while you work and keep an eye on the "Real Memory" column and see what is eating up your ram. I hope this helps and I hope someone else has some suggestions.

Last edited by stustan; 11-17-2009 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 11-18-2009, 04:43 AM

Thanks, I have never been able to find an "approved technical set up from AVID" that says: use "x" number of cores, at X percentage of usage, and if you encounter this or that change to X, or Y?. It would be very helpful if this sort of information existed, instead of this trial and error thing. I'll check how many cores I am using but I think is 7 (the odd number that some people suggest but I am using a higher % i think is 89%?) Wouldn't it make sense that if you have an 8 core machine, you just use all the cores at maximum usage? or may be the software itself would just use (address) whatever cores it requires and leave the rest of them untouched?

Thanks I will try your suggestion
Old 11-18-2009, 08:16 AM

I've had this problem for a while now as well - doesn't seem to follow a particular rhyme or reason, but a total reboot always works so far.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:34 AM

On a PC PT system we had a similar problem turned out there is an audition bug that seems to not flush a buffer which leads to this error. The solution was to set the audition buss to none. Doing this made the system stable, all be it not a solution to the problem but a work around.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:45 AM

Yes, I think is related to the auditioning and importing of audio files through the workspace. A total re-boot DOES fix the problem but a total re-boot takes about 10 minutes and totally brakes the work flow not to mention how stupid this looks to the clients...who say: wow! why don't you have enough memory in your computer! memory is cheap these days you now! I have 4 gigs on my lap top and can do a trillion video files in FCP and audio is so much smaller than video! So here we go again, try to explain to the client that every time Avid releases a new version of their flag ship software there area always new bugs that come up...and we don't know why or how to fix them but wait...let me try to see if re-booting works? then they go..but are you sure you have enough memory, really it is very cheap these days..and so on!
Old 11-19-2009, 01:49 PM
Avid

Sorry for not replying sooner, but I wanted to investigate a few things we've been doing with the Workspace and it looks like there is at least one fix/improvement in memory management coming in the next update.

So...hang tight...
Old 11-19-2009, 02:00 PM

"PT Critically low on memory, save your session because I am going to crash, then re-start etc,etc"

i get this message also (sometimes), but only when i work in structure!