Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2004, 09:39 PM

Default sysex MIDI question

Hey all, ok...I've done plenty of reading in my triton manual, and I still don't think I understand system exclusive MIDI completely. Tell me if I'm understanding this correctly and please bear with me...

So here's my setup....

MIDI---

Korg Triton MIDI out (as MIDI controller) > 002r MIDI in > PT 6.4 (sequencer) > 002r MIDI out > Korg Triton MIDI in

this then triggers my triton which plays AUDIO....

Korg Triton > Avalon U5's > RNC's > RME (lightpipe) > PT 6.4 AUDIO

So to make a short story long, I'm trying to use the MIDI sequencer in PT to arrange and quantize...then I want it to trigger the triton to play back audio through my outboard gear into PT. That seems to work fine.

The thing is, though, I want to convert my audio at the last minute possible, and thus would like to be able to have several patches playing simultaneously on the trion to an aux track so I can hear what I'm doing and make MIDI edits until I'm completely satisfied with the sounds.

I suppose this is where sysex comes in. My understanding is this: sysex is MIDI data commands that tell the triton which patches to play. I suppose this means that I dont have to select which patch I want to playback on the triton- the sysex will automatically do it? Also, how many patches can play back simultaneoulsy? Can I have essentially an entire "song" playing back at once through the stereo aux (percussion, keys, etc.)? Last but not least...how can I go about doing this in a simple way with Pro Tools? How to you "dump" the sysex data? All PT says is to check the manufacturer's guide which basically tells me nothing (the triton manual might as well have been written in Japanese).

THANKS!!!!
Old 11-22-2004, 11:02 PM

Default Re: sysex MIDI question

SysEx basically takes a snapshot of the synths parameters including: Programs, Combinations, Global settings(Effects, pedals), sequencer settings,etc. basically everything. Each Sysex file has an identifier number by manufacturer to differentiate between them.

1.)This file is recorded by creating a midi track,record enabling the ProTools miditrack, hitting REC on the Transport. Make sure in ProTools is set to receive sysyex data in the Midi/Midi Input Filter page.

2) Go to your gobal page in the triton/midi and make sure SysEx is enabled, hit the arrow on the top right and select dump all or dump programs, whatever you want to save. I usually set it to dump all so Im sure my Effects settings go with the file.

3)When the Dump is complete, stop ProTools and reset to zero. Now, when you start ProTools, it will change all the Programs, Combis, Sequencer, Effects to what you had. Youll want to start your song a little after the sysex section so it has time to send out the message.

SysEx does not tell the Triton what Programs to play, it simply takes a picture of everything in the board and saves it to a file so if you load all kinds of other stuff into the Triton such as different Programs ,Combis,Sequences, etc, the Triton can be reset to what you originally had in it in order to play back your sequence with the correct settings.

The Triton will play back a max of 16 Programs in sequencer mode or 8 Programs in Combination mode. Yes you can have all 16 tracks playing into ProTools via a stereo aux in track.

If you want to record these tracks as audio, just create audio tracks and select the input the triton in connected to. Mute every track exept the one you want to record and continue with this sequence until all tracks are dumped as audio.

I do this for all my synths. Ill dump each synth on its own track and voila. When I playback the song, it sets all synths where they should be as far as Patches,Programs, etc. Once you start the song and the file resets the Triton, remember to MUTE the sysex file on the track or it will re load every time you go back to your zero marker.

****I ALWAYS DO MY SEQUENCING WITH THE TRITON IN SEQUENCER MODE!!!!!! Hope this helps.
PS I have a Triton.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:23 AM

hey thanks a lot. I'll try it when I get home later.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:10 AM

Your welcome
Old 11-27-2004, 02:46 PM

hey there...if you're still watching this...I think I got PT to recognize the systex (there are grey blocks that say "systex"), but if I change the patch on the triton, it changes the audio to the new patch when it's triggered as well. Maybe I misunderstood how systex works?

I can dump individual programs to individual MIDI tracks, right? Or do I need to be using the sequencer function on the triton to be able to have several programs playing at once?

I was hoping I could just have each MIDI track control an individual program on the triton.

Thanks
Old 11-28-2004, 02:11 PM

bump