Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2010, 07:53 PM

Default Big Problem: Studio Recording People are NOT "Engineers"

I have a big problem. I keep hearing the word "Engineer" thrown around carelessly in the industry and art of audio production, but never in my lifetime in both observance and/or participation of mixing, recording, and mastering procedures have i noticed anything even remotely resembling engineering in such environments - EVER.

I mean, I can understand describing someone like Les Paul, or Tom Dowd - those who innovated the multi-track method as also being engineers, as they did the designs and real "engineering" - but that is WHEY unlike all these studio people claiming to be engineers.

Where did people who craft recordings get this idea to use the word engineering? Straight out of the crack pipe? Its the most arrogant use of a word in history. At least certainly which I have ever heard thus far.

Engineers are people who design and construct engines or machines. Can somebody please fill me in on what this has to do with people who make audio recordings?
Old 02-21-2010, 08:00 PM

Default Re: Big Problem: Studio Recording People are NOT "Engineers"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap Launcher View Post
I have a big problem. I keep hearing the word "Engineer" thrown around carelessly in the industry and art of audio production, but never in my lifetime in observance and participation of mixing, recording, and mastering prcedures have i noticed anything remotely close to engineering in such environments - EVER.

I mean, I can understand describing someone like Les Paul, or Tom Dowd - those who innovated the multi-track method as also being engineers, as they did the designs and real "engineering" - but that is WHEY unlike all these studio people claiming to be engineers.

Where did people who craft recordings get this idea to use that word? Straight out of the crack pipe? Its the most arrogant use of a word in history. At least certainly which I have ever heard thus far.

Engineers are people who design and construct engines or machines. Can somebody please fill me in on what engineering has to do with people who make audio recordings?
That is highly inaccurate. Sorry but to keep it short, a chemical engineer does not build engines or machines.. Electrical engineer, Really come on. Audio Engineers are a real term. The army core of engineers build Dams and Bridges. Not engines.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:07 PM

Quote:
I have a big problem. I keep hearing the word "Engineer" thrown around carelessly in the industry and art of audio production, but never in my lifetime in both observance and/or participation of mixing, recording, and mastering procedures have i noticed anything even remotely resembling engineering in such environments - EVER.

Where did people who craft recordings get this idea to use the word engineering? Straight out of the crack pipe? Its the most arrogant use of a word in history. At least certainly which I have ever heard thus far.
I will have to quote my grandmother and say "You mean an engineer isn't necessarily someone who operates a choo choo train?"

Quote:
Engineers are people who design and construct engines or machines. Can somebody please fill me in on what this has to do with people who make audio recordings?
People who design machines are either creating or refining whatever it is they are working on. So are audio engineers. The biggest difference is that audio engineers do not require any certifications to achieve their title, they just have to prove themselves by being able to turn out a great sound.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 02-21-2010, 08:08 PM

Yeah what he said.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Toolbox View Post
I will have to quote my grandmother and say "You mean an engineer isn't necessarily someone who operates a choo choo train?"
my grandpa would say "you can call me anything but late for dinner"

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 02-21-2010, 08:24 PM

It's mostly a holdover from when we had EE and build our own equipment.

I have heard of competitors in small markets trying to bring legal action agents each other for misrepresentation because there did not have a degree in Engineering but I don't know it its true.

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 02-21-2010, 08:48 PM

Firstly, I'm not sure this qualifies as a 'big problem'.

Secondly, you may need to investigate ALL the meanings of a word - most have several, based on context etc.

From the Free Dictionary...(but please consult any other dictionary to confirm)

engineer

1. One who is trained or professionally engaged in a branch of engineering.
2. One who operates an engine.
3. One who skillfully or shrewdly manages an enterprise.

...To further define 1.

engineering

a. The application of scientific and mathematical principles to practical ends such as the design, manufacture, and operation of efficient and economical structures, machines, processes, and systems.
b. The profession of or the work performed by an engineer.
2. Skillful maneuvering or direction

Scott
Old 02-21-2010, 09:42 PM

Nice
Old 02-21-2010, 10:57 PM

Let's not forget the guys that haul away our trash.....you know,
the 'Sanitation Engineers'
Old 02-22-2010, 07:03 AM

Quote:

Super rant. Blimey Guv!

Obviously a poorley thoughout and researched comment.

My father was a 'civil engineer' (and I don't mean he was a 'pleseant engineer') he never made engines!!!!! Bridges, roads, structures, yes..... engines/machines!??!?!? No

A:)