How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2014, 02:11 PM

Default CoreMIDI error message

Hi guys:

I just got a new macbook. I'm running OSX (10.9.3). I first installed Ableton Live 7, it worked GREAT. Then I messed around w/ the Garageband App as well, it worked great. However, as soon as I re-loaded ProTools 8 onto my new laptop (from the download link in my Avid account) I began to get a repetitive loop of error messages that said "CoreMIDI" on them. Also, this has completely disabled my Ableton Live. I've un-installed Ableton AND re-installed. Garageband doesn't work correctly either anymore.

In my research, this seems to be a common problem, but, I cannot get a clear concise answer on how to fix it. I'd like to stop getting these error messages and I'd like to be able to use my other programs again. Any help? Thanks.
Old 10-29-2014, 02:14 PM

Default Re: CoreMIDI error message

You do realized Pro Tools 8 LE is not supported on that OS X or any other recent OS X version? If selecting the correct audio interfaces in GarageBand etc. does not work, then you should roll back to your last working system backup, or do a full clean install of OS X if you were insane enough to try installing unsupported old versions of Pro Tools without a backup/recovery plan.
Old 10-29-2014, 02:51 PM

Does this mean I can't use PT8 LE on OSX? I don't understand. (excuse my lack of computer knowledge) I'm good w/ programs, but, don't understand everything about computers and their operating systems.

All I can say is that I purchased PT8 and have an Avid Account. I also purchased Ableton. I also purchased this computer. Nothing is cracked or should be shady. My older computer got stolen, so I re-downloaded these programs on my NEW computer, hoping to re-build my studio. But, it's just not working right w/ this strange CoreMIDI thing popping up. How do I fix it?
Old 10-29-2014, 03:00 PM

Avid publishes very detailed compatibility charts of what OS versions they officially support Pro Tools on. Sitting up at the top of this and every other DUC web page. You should be checking that compatibility information, and similar with your plugin vendors before any upgrade. But that does not mean stuff will not run, it just means Avid does not officially support it. In your case Avid certainly does not offically support what you are trying to do, and more importantly it is not expected/known not to work either (if Avid does not offically support something, your next call would be to search DUC and the Internet in general for folks who may have managed to get that combination working OK themselves, PT 8 LE on OS X 10.9 ... you will be unlikely to find happy campers).

And this is not limited to Avid, you should be checking compatibility with all your software and plugins before upgrading your computer or OS and finding out if you need to free upgrade other software, purchase upgrades etc.

Your most likely out here is to purchase a Pro Tools 11 crossgrade (which also gets you a license to run Pro Tools 10) -- look on Sweetwater.com as Avid.com has temp. stopped selling upgrades while they deal with new licensing terms (which you can read about on DUC elsewhere). And check carefully if your system meets the requirements for Pro Tools 10 and/or 11, and also separate check if devices driers are available from Avid on your new OS for your interface (we cannot guess exactly what interface you have). If drivers are not available you may need to purchase a new interface. All this should have been worked out about before switching/upgrading/replacing hardware, in some cases purchasing a used older Mac 9with an older version of OS X) is a better idea than a new one.