Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion

Old 07-19-2021, 12:44 PM

Default changing ptproject file name

I started saving projects locally.. so now I have a folder that looks like this... (example only.. not meant to duplicate what the files look like)

gN400apsad;lkfgansdgf.ptproject
g7Habdoadoifhasdfasdf.ptproject
bge7HYlsasd;lfjkhaosdh.ptproject

so I don't know what projects any of these are in case I need to go in and do anything with the audio files for example.. so I named them accordingly and then PT First won't open them. Is there a work around or am I stuck with endless file names that don't pertain to the actual project that was recorded.

Thanks in advance...
Old 07-20-2021, 07:57 AM

Default Re: changing ptproject file name

Hmmm, a "Project" is(usually) something that lives in the cloud, while a "Session" is something that lives on your hard drive. So, what are you creating when you start a new recording(project, or session)?

For stuff that you don't want in the cloud(and that's most everything for me), create sessions. I have never had an issue renaming a session(I have little experience with projects as I gave up on that stuff right after it was introduced). Having said that, you can try opening a project you wish to change the name of and go to File>Save Copy(I hope this option is there) and create a new session(check the box to Copy Audio Files) and you can rename this new file. Remember that you can't rename a session while Pro Tools is open

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-20-2021, 08:52 AM

Don‘t change the Name of your local Projectfiles in Pro Tools First. NEVER!!!
You won‘t be able to open them anymore. Somewhere in this forum, i think jeffro, also wrote not to change anything from Pro Tools First, with the os filesystem.
It is not developed to do that.

Trust me - i have learned this lesson the hard way. And others did also.
Please don‘t think it acts like the usual session in Pro Tools Native Full or Ultimate.

Best

MacBook Pro 13, Mid 2012, 10 GB, 250 GB Crucial MX
macOs 11.6.5 / Windows 10
Wavelab Elements 11

Music was my first love - shine on
Old 11-27-2021, 08:22 AM

Its interesting that the file structure and file extensions for old project folders that I manually copied from a back-up location, and the new project files developed after I re-installed the software, are identical in format.

However, only the new projects show up in the project dashboard.

There is no project file you can click on to open a project, without getting an error message.

That would suggest that the dashboard is not driven by the DOCUMENTS / PRO TOOLS FIRST file structure, and what shows in the DASHBOARD is determined by another file that maintains the project list. If its a reference table it might be possible to edit that list.
Old 11-27-2021, 10:56 AM

Default Re: changing ptproject file name ..missing projects

The dashboard list of projects appears to be generated from by and ASCII file located under USERS/YOUR USER NAME/APP DATA/ROAMING/AVID/PROJECT LOCATIONS.

If you open this file (AND I AM NOT SUGGESTING YOU DO THIS) it lists the PRO TOOLS file structure that you see in your documents folder. I think that is how your application finds your project folders

You can open the file with a UTF-8 editor and between all the symbols you will see your PROJECT CACHE and PROJECT FOLDERS list there. If that file is deleted your dashboard project list comes up empty.

If you change the name of your project folder from the long name generated by the system, to a plain English name, your dashboard is still looking for the system generated folder name.

If you paste an older project folder into the PROJECT CACHE folder, is does not update the file that controls the Dashboard list. Your old project folder may be viable but it's not listed.

The question is, HOW DO YOU UPDATE THE "PROJECT LOCATIONS FILE", and is that the only file that has to be updated so all the folders in your PROJECT CACHE show in the DASHBOARD