Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces

Old 03-18-2021, 06:28 PM

Default Aggregate (Apogee/SD-MixPre) giving 6101 error

My main interface is an Apogee Symphony (thunderbolt) that works smoothly with PT 2019.5 and most previous PT versions I've used.

I've setup an aggregate to include a Sound Devices MixPre-10ii in addition to the Apogee for more inputs and I keep getting 6101 errors a few minutes in. I've tried unselecting/selecting ignore errors as well as every other configuration i can think of with the playback engine and it keeps crashing the record and giving the ol' 6101 CPU overload error. There are no plugins inserted.
This does not happen when using just the Apogee or just the MixPre, only when both are used.
Anyone run into this using an aggregate and multiple interfaces or have any suggestions?
Old 03-18-2021, 06:47 PM

Default Re: Aggregate (Apogee/SD-MixPre) giving 6101 error

Aggregate is a crap shoot, and AFAIK not officially supported by Avid except for aggregating Built-In Output with interfaces. A lot depends on the drivers and some vendors (e.g. MOTU) seem to take much more care there than others. I expect Sound Devices is not likely to care/test that. (I have a smaller MixPre and have never tried aggregating it).

If you can't get it to work, (eg. by increasing IO buffer size, installing latest drives etc. and trying everything here: https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...-Pro-Tools-Mac) then give up and expand the Symphony or maybe look at ADAT mic preamp you can use. Your expectation should be surprise/throw a party if aggregation work reliably. And outside of 6109 errors you should be looking at syncing clock between the interfaces.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 03-18-2021 at 07:05 PM.
Old 03-18-2021, 07:12 PM

Thanks for the reality check Darryl.
I'm trying to avoid spending on a second apogee input module, but yeah that or a cheaper ADAT pre are a more dependable way to go. Just thought I'd give what I have on hand a try.

I've done most of what you listed but will make sure I try it all.
Right now it's recording for over an hour hasn't crashed, but I have no idea why.
If I figure it out, I will report back.

Last edited by hagstrom71; 03-18-2021 at 08:33 PM.
Old 03-19-2021, 12:02 AM

Default Aggregate (Apogee/SD-MixPre) giving 6101 error

The MixPre is a class compliant interface which whilst a good thing in the fact you can grab it, plug it in and away you go, the fact that it doesn’t operate via dedicated drivers is probably going to hinder its functionality.

The way I use the MixPre as an interface is to capture the audio locally to the device and into PT simultaneously for redundancy. In that fashion, it’s great.

I agree with Daryl that getting another set of pres via ADAT connectivity is your best bet. Depending on what you’re after, some are very affordable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Sardi; 03-19-2021 at 01:50 AM.
Old 07-02-2021, 07:47 PM

Have you connected the WC out of the Symphony to the WC in of the MixPre, and configured the MixPre appropriately (see page 35 of the MixPre II User Guide)?

Also, configure the Symphony as the Clock Source and make sure Drift Correction is disabled for both.