Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2017, 10:44 AM

Default Re: HDN why 96k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
and EXACTLYfor the worse time wise, but probably better for my billing) everything is working fine.
I'm not following, can you elaborate more? Curious?

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 01-02-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Re latency, recounting my experience; I've been running HDN for 3 years now. My usual gig is recording bands, up to 6 pieces. With careful selection of plugins while tracking(and plenty of them) and running at a 64 buffer setting, I feed 5 stereo headphone mixes(using AUX sends in the session as I do not use a console). In that 3 years, not once have I had a complaint or mention of latency. I have built session templates that place high-latency plugins in the A or E slots and inactive. When I get ready to mix, its very quick to make an entire row of inserts go active, and equally quick to make them inactive if I need a last-minute overdub. I've never used(or needed) LLM. 99% of my work is 24 bit/49K. Just one user's experience
I tried HDN a year or so ago and had latency issues. I didn't spend a ton of time trying to find out why, therefore at the time wrote it off as it wouldn't work for my workflow. At that time, my motivation to see it through, was significantly diminished by the fact that my pro control unit would not work with any version of ProTools past ProTools 10.

I'm much more invested in trying to make it work for this go around as I have recently purchased a 24 channel D Command, so now my motivation is the opposite, and that is to continue moving forward with newer versions of ProTools.

My hope is, that when I gave it a try before, the issues I was running into workfliw wise were hopefully related to poor choices and plugins when tracking.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 01-02-2017, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
I'm not following, can you elaborate more? Curious?
When you've started mixing but are still overdubbing, there are times where I need a few minutes to Freeze or do an offline bounce and that's billable time. I much prefer Freeze to tracking to a bounced rough since all levels are still adjustable.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 01-02-2017, 01:55 PM

At What buffer do you track at? With stability?
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:32 PM

Quote:
When you've started mixing but are still overdubbing, there are times where I need a few minutes to Freeze or do an offline bounce and that's billable time. I much prefer Freeze to tracking to a bounced rough since all levels are still adjustable.
That makes sense, but brings me back to my original concern. My hope is that you normally deal with much more intense sessions than I do, as I will not be happy if I have to do any kind of work around to be abel to track at any stage of the process.

The majority of sessions I work on, I do the tracking and the mixing, so its very common for me to mix as I go. Its common for me to still be tracking when I'm at the very end of completing a session, so having to work around to be able to do that, is not something I have any interest in at all.

I guess I'll know in the next week as I will be putting it through some serious testing. The HDN cards arrives tomorrow.

I'm finding I'm working with VI's more lately, so that is what is driving me to move away from PTHD 10 so I can take advantage of all of my computers memory. Plus, since upgrading to a 12 core, I've yet to do anything to push the limits of my computer!

Old 01-02-2017, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
At What buffer do you track at? With stability?

Man since I went Windows I had not pushed my system.....

I just pulled down the playback engine to 64, and worked on automation, for an hour without issue.....

My mac setup didn't even offer me 32 samples....this is nice

Old 01-02-2017, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
Man since I went Windows I had not pushed my system.....

I just pulled down the playback engine to 64, and worked on automation, for an hour without issue.....

My mac setup didn't even offer me 32 samples....this is nice
Are you talking to yourself??

Old 01-02-2017, 08:14 PM

Yes sorry !!! It happens often. After I asked the question I went and checked .....my mac didn't even show 32 samples

Old 01-03-2017, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
That makes sense, but brings me back to my original concern. My hope is that you normally deal with much more intense sessions than I do, as I will not be happy if I have to do any kind of work around to be abel to track at any stage of the process.

The majority of sessions I work on, I do the tracking and the mixing, so its very common for me to mix as I go. Its common for me to still be tracking when I'm at the very end of completing a session, so having to work around to be able to do that, is not something I have any interest in at all.

I guess I'll know in the next week as I will be putting it through some serious testing. The HDN cards arrives tomorrow.

I'm finding I'm working with VI's more lately, so that is what is driving me to move away from PTHD 10 so I can take advantage of all of my computers memory. Plus, since upgrading to a 12 core, I've yet to do anything to push the limits of my computer!
You absolutely will not be able to work the same way you're used to with a DSP system. Embrace that and accept the challenge.

For me, it actually took me back to the way I used to work with tape and LFACs. For the better!! I'm back to "getting sounds" more with outboard gear (or AMAZING UA plugins through my Apollo 8P) and committing things to tape. I also "make" clients call something "done" before I start mixing in ernest. All just like I used to. And if I do need to do a last minute overdub, I just Freeze all the tracks, set my buffer to 64, and do it.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 01-03-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
You absolutely will not be able to work the same way you're used to with a DSP system. Embrace that and accept the challenge.

For me, it actually took me back to the way I used to work with tape and LFACs. For the better!! I'm back to "getting sounds" more with outboard gear (or AMAZING UA plugins through my Apollo 8P) and committing things to tape. I also "make" clients call something "done" before I start mixing in ernest. All just like I used to. And if I do need to do a last minute overdub, I just Freeze all the tracks, set my buffer to 64, and do it.
That would entail Barry to get V12 for freeze and commit functions, not 11..
Anyway, with a pair of LLM outputs, you should be fine Barry or do you need multiple mixes at the same time for a last minute OD?