Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2011, 10:51 PM

Question seeking advice on new desktop computer that will be compatible with protools le

After struggling for over 2 years trying to record on a terrible windows vista HP laptop, I'm finally in a position to purchase a desktop computer for my recording. I was wondering if anybody out there can recommend a good/no frills desktop starter computer that I should buy (I can only afford about $1,000 right now), with room for expansion. I know I need firewire with pro tools, and I already have an external firewire (with texas chip). A mac is way out of my price range, so I will be looking into PC computers.

ANY AND ALL advice will be so appreciated!!!

I'd like to add that I'm not usually recording with a lot of tracks. 20 at the most...with minimal effects. So my needs are very much those of an amateur (which I am).

I apologize if this is not the appropriate area to post this. If there's a better place, please let me know :)

Thanks
Old 12-08-2011, 01:31 AM

If you're only doing about 20 tracks you have lots of options, including macs. The new minis would no doubt cover that and be in your price range. Well unless you use lots of VI's which it doesn't sound like you do. My almost 5 year old core2duo MacBook pro can easily run sessions like that. So any newer Mac with an I-series processor should def meet your needs IMO.

That said I've been looking at some of the tiger direct build to order pc's. They have a tower you can build with FireWire and spec out with 8GB of ram and an i7-2600 proc for just under $1000. It's got an intel mobo so I'd think it would work but, if you decide to go that route, def ask about it in the windows section first.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:18 PM

Default Re: seeking advice on new desktop computer that will be compatible with protools le

Thank you, CME. I'll post the question on the windows section, and see if somebody has advice there. I just took a look at the tigerdirect site, thank you for suggesting that. It's hard for me to grasp everything about computer configurations/specs/etc, so your advice is greatly appreciated. ~Jenny Jo
Old 12-08-2011, 03:30 PM

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...055739&CatId=6

Here is a link to the one I'm looking at. I've built some pc's in the past but have been mainly using Macs for 5-6 years now. I'm trying to decide between this, a new i7 server Mac mini, and an older Mac pro. I'll probably stick to my Mac as I need osx for my ULN2, but there are options in the pc world. So I've just been looking around myself.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:45 PM

Default Re: seeking advice on new desktop computer that will be compatible with protools le

Hi CME, thanks for your reply :) I just got an answer from the windows forum about this, and was recommended the CS200 from this site: http://www.sweetwater.com/creation_station/CS200

The computer on the link you sent to me ($679) is cheaper than the computer in the link above ($999).

In your opinion, do you think the CS200 would suit me better with the use of my protools 8LE and mbox combo? Or would the computer on your link serve me just as well? It is ok if you are unsure, I don't expect people here to do all my homework for me! If you have an opinion about this, though, I'd love to hear it. I don't mind spending an extra bit of money if it means saving myself hours of frustration in the future. Thank you for your help!~Jenny Jo
Old 12-09-2011, 03:05 AM

The creation station would be a nice choice. It will come optimized for audio and should be plug and play. The biggest draw back for me is the i3 processor. Not sure how powerful those are. It should run your sessions fine, but I'm looking for more of an i5 2500 or i7 2600 system. I know those are powerful processors.

For about the same money you can tweak the system I linked to, or even build, a more powerful i5/i7 system. But you'll probably have to do some optimizations. Also, as mentioned, I'm not a windows guy, and some motherboards can use chips that don't play well with audio. I'd think the intel board in the tigerdirect system would work but def ask first, if you go that route.

And I don't wanna confuse the issue, but you can get a new server Mac Mini with an i7, that can hang with most systems performance wise, and should also be pretty much plug and play for $999. It's nice and small. It's biggest downfall is upgradability. With either if the other systems you have more potential RAM and HD space. Again it's just a matter of what you're most comfortable with and why I can't decide myself lol.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:26 AM

Thanks again for your answers to my questions. I had a friend give me some advice about the two computers (the one you sent me the link to, and the CS200). He said:

The specs on the $679 looks good. The only reservation I have is what kind of a 'motherboard' it's using, other than that, it appears to be a solid machine.

The CS200 looks awesome, but my first concern is cooling. If you could ask people on the Avid forums how the cooling is on that computer, because the last thing you want is your computer over-heating and shutting down on you.

A premade computer should be fine, as long as the warranty is good.
If you had a computer friend near by, you might also see if they could custom build you a system. It would be around $999-$1200 and offer superior stability. Windows 7 is a very stable OS, the only one better being Apple Mac OSX...which...you can pick up an iMac for around $1200 also. Your Pro-tools setup should also work with the Mac.

So...I will ask about the cooling system on the CS200. Have I understood right that the motherboard on the computer you suggested to me is an 'intel'?

I have been told that Macs are good...and some people say 'better' and more stable for recording than PC's...but I also understand that it's sort of 'what you buy is what you get', with no room for expandibility with them. Which could just be fine for me, at the recording stage I'm in. But I like the idea of being able to expand myrecording setup with more experience that I get.

Thank you!
Old 12-10-2011, 11:22 AM

Yes. If you "configure" that tigerdirect pc it shows you it's an intel board. I forget the model number, but it has FireWire and esata. Both have benefits for audio, and also intel typically uses Texas instrument FireWire chips, which are really good. I will admit I haven't dug that deep yet.

As far as windows vs Mac. That's entirely up to you. I don't have a lot of experience with w7 but have heard it is top notch. I prefer osx personally but use windows machines a lot also. Both have flaws, and expandability is one thing some macs don't do that well.

I wouldn't expect any cooling problems with any of these machines. And if you know some one to put one together that would be your best bang for the buck. Especially if you're going windows. In fact there is a best desktops thread, I believe, in the ptle for windows forum, where lots of people post their builds. You could take one of those and build a killer machine as mentioned by your friend.

Lots of options and all of them good.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:48 PM

The Mac mini is a great little machine. It's basically a Macbook Pro without the keyboard and monitor attached! Many people on DUC are using MBP, including myself. And before this computer, I was using a Mac mini.
It's the most affordable Mac, and its maximum 8GB of RAM should be tons for most users.
Keep in mind though that the newest models have Thunderbolt and FW800 only... so you may need to choose peripherals carefully...
Old 12-10-2011, 11:36 PM

Thanks GregV and CME. I'm in Portland, Oregon...and I'm sure I can find people to build me a good PC here. I will just need to ask around at music stores and talk to some other musicians for some advice on who to hire to do this. I am very tempted, however, to buy that CS200. It's probably a bit more expensive than what a custom built would cost me, but I am eager to just start recording again. My digital camera is getting cranky having to record all my piano ideas

~Jennifer