Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2010, 09:05 PM

Default Melodyne & Auto-tune Plug-ins Pro Tools question

Hi,

I have been kind of confused by this & after listening for comparisons, I figured I need to again - ask you guys (the experts). Thanks..

I was just curious if when using: Melodyne (I'm using version 1.8.1.3 - came with the ignition pack, or even also using newer Melodyne at the studio) or even Antares' Autotune (using the 10-day demo right now) with my PT 7.1.2...

If I have my vocal comp track in PT set (automation is all set, the track volume is set & good, & I have the 7-Band EQ 3 PT plug-in running on that track) - & like it exactly the way it is (ready to mix) - (except for maybe a tiny pitch correction or 2). But if my settings are all set & good otherwise & I like what I have --

1. If I use the transfer function in the newer Melodyne & transfer audio from my vocal comp track (to tweak slightly), & again the volume on vocal comp track = 1.2 & 7-Band EQ is ON, does Meloyne transfer it WITH those 2 settings employed, or does it essentially bypass it & transfer it clean at 0 volume & no EQ on it?

2. If I use that older Melodyne version (from the ignition pack - no transfer function, only "open"), if I open a "PT-consolidated audio file" or just an audio file from that vocal comp track, same thing - is it opened in that older Melodyne 1.8.1.3 WITH the 1.2 volume & EQ on it, or 0 volume & no EQ?

3 If I use Autotune, same thing - if I use auto mode, & I want to bounce an Autotuned copy of vocal comp track to another track for comparison (via just busing to an empty track in record while Autotune plug-in is on vocal comp track), is it copying & printing on that empty track WITH the 1.2 volume & EQ on it, or 0 volume & no EQ?

4. If I use Autotune, same thing - if I use graphic mode, & I import the section of audio from PT into Autotune (so I see it & can work with it in the graph), is it importing the audio from vocal comp track WITH the 1.2 volume & EQ on it, or 0 volume & no EQ?

Thank you PT community....
Old 03-27-2010, 09:22 PM

Default Re: Melodyne & Auto-tune Plug-ins Pro Tools question

My experience with Autotune is until you bounce to another track and you have eq, compression etc whether autotune is used or not, the effects will be on the consolidated track if you are bussing out. It depends on how you use it. Melodyne when it imports the audio it shouldn't import any settings on the track, it should only reference to the audio itself or multiple if you have more than one region on the track. The tracks in PT are only a "EDL" (Edit decision list). So again from my experience Melodyne doesn't transfer the settings as well as AT unless you buss it out to another track. Hope this helps you.