Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2005, 10:45 AM

Default Cue Mixes for Control 24

I'm a new Control 24 user and am wanting to set up multiple headphone mixes. I have 2 192 io. I can't figure out how to create sends so that the talkback can be used with the mixes. Right now I have created aux inputs and am bussing the mixes there, but I can't use the talkback. This seems like a very basic question so any thoughts from the ol' wise ones would be great!
Thanks
AB
Old 03-26-2005, 11:41 AM

Default Re: Cue Mixes for Control 24

I take one side of the aux out on the back of the c24 and route it back into an input of my 192 and thus an aux input on protools. I couldn't figure out another way to get the talkback to any other mix other than the stereo mix... If there is a better way, I would really like to know....
PT 8cs3
HD 2 Accel
1 Process Card
UAD quad
PT 8.0.1 cs 1
OSX 10.5.8
Ctrl 24
Old 03-27-2005, 04:21 AM

I just take the talkback out to a spare channel(Channel 8 on the C24). Take this into Pro tools as a aux input in and add a -15 pad..

Yeah two sets of aux thrus would be nice..
Also a not so noisey T/B mic as well.. been thinking of getting a CB mic and connect it to channel 8 instead.
Old 03-30-2005, 05:25 AM

I have two 192s and a C24. As C24 only uses first 6 outs of my 1st 192 as Pro Tools sources, my OUT 7&8 goes to patchbay as well as C24's AUX INs. (i use custom cables, not the digi snake)

Outs 7&8 connect to C24 AUX IN via patchbay, which means that any signal coming out from 7&8 goes to C24 AUX OUTs when 'Monitor To Aux' switch is not engaged.

In your session, take one send (i.e. Send E) route all your channels to a bus pair (i.e. Bus 63-64), make sure that all those sends are PRE FADER.

Select all channels and copy fader levels to sends (Edit/copy to fader/select Current value & Volume & Pan & Send E)

Create a stereo Aux Input, select input (i.e. Bus 63-64), select output (192 I/O outs 7&8 ), make sure it's Solo Safe. (I also prefer routing Send E of Cue Mix Aux Return to outs 3&4 of 1st 192 to be able to switch quickly to Cue Mix by hitting 'ProTools Sources 3&4' switch on C24)

Make sure that 'Monitor to Aux' switch is not on, adjust levels and viola.
Glyph Firewires
Motu MTP AV USB
Old 04-27-2005, 09:58 AM

Thanks guys,
I used the aux out for TB and it works marvelous! It seems to me that the headphone system on the C24 is a little lacking, but the work is getting done regardless!
Old 04-29-2005, 09:26 AM
cachemira

Quote:
I have two 192s and a C24. As C24 only uses first 6 outs of my 1st 192 as Pro Tools sources, my OUT 7&8 goes to patchbay as well as C24's AUX INs. (i use custom cables, not the digi snake)

Outs 7&8 connect to C24 AUX IN via patchbay, which means that any signal coming out from 7&8 goes to C24 AUX OUTs when 'Monitor To Aux' switch is not engaged.

In your session, take one send (i.e. Send E) route all your channels to a bus pair (i.e. Bus 63-64), make sure that all those sends are PRE FADER.

Select all channels and copy fader levels to sends (Edit/copy to fader/select Current value & Volume & Pan & Send E)

Create a stereo Aux Input, select input (i.e. Bus 63-64), select output (192 I/O outs 7&8 ), make sure it's Solo Safe. (I also prefer routing Send E of Cue Mix Aux Return to outs 3&4 of 1st 192 to be able to switch quickly to Cue Mix by hitting 'ProTools Sources 3&4' switch on C24)

Make sure that 'Monitor to Aux' switch is not on, adjust levels and viola.

Great idea!!!!!!!!
Old 07-31-2005, 02:47 AM

I have my cue system being fed by those Behringer Powerplay 4700's Those puppies are $100. The Aux headphone out (which always has the talkback in stereo, as well as the control room mix if the button is selected) feeds the main input (normalled via patch), and the stereo aux channel ins on each of the 4 channels come to patch.

This means the talkback always goes everywhere.

When I get lazy and am in a hurry, I hit the monitor button on the aux out, and everyone gets the same mix I hear + talback functions.

When I want to get fancy, I disengage the monitor button and make custom mixes for each of the 4 channels on each unit, they all share the talkback buss automatically. You can link multiple 4700's with 2 patch cables and expand indefinitely.

I know it's a $100, but it was the most elegant solution I could come up with.
-Mack
Old 10-28-2005, 03:42 AM

My head hurts trying to wade through all the cue mixes. Ok, here is my setup and my problem:

1 x 192 i/o with 192 A/D Interface Card for 8 more inputs
1 x C24
1 x Fostex H/Phone amp.

I currently use Monitor speaker outs 3+4 fed into the AUX input on the C24. AUX out of the C24 into the headphone amp. This lets me set up my separate cue mix for the performer. All happy. However, I am about to upgrade to 5.1 surround so this option will no longer be open to me Here is a way I have thought about getting round it, will it work or no?

I have a spare DB25 - FXLR snake. If I buy a DB25 - MXLR snake, could I then connect 192 Analogue outs to the FXLR snake and C24 Pro Tools Sources to the MXLR snake. Hook up 1-6 MXLR - FXLR and then 7+8 FXLR (from the 192 outs) to the headphone amp? Then setup a cue mix in PT and send the output to outs 7+8 therefore going to my headphone amp? Oh no, I've gone crosseyed.... HELP!
S6 M10
SSL Duality, AWS924, AWS948, Nucleus
All Mac
Old 11-17-2005, 02:42 PM

Hello!! This is how we did it...
Connect the outputs from Protools (that is now connected to the Headphonemixer) into submixer 1 (c24) instead. Feed the Aux Le-Ri out (C24) into submixer 2 (c24). Connect the submix Le-Ri out to your headphonemixer. Adjust the balance between the music (submix1) and talkback (Submix2). Dont forget to turn the Auxknob up (otherwise you wont hear the talkback).

This works great for us. You don´t have to start protools to be able to communicate, and you´re not "wasting" any inputs on your 192´s.
I can also recommend the Headphonemixer Furman HDS-6 system with 6-channel mix it yourself satellites. they really made the whole headphonebuisiness easy for us. Alot of bang for the buck.
Good luck/ Janke