Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 12-03-2022, 12:23 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools M1 support - dec 27th (beta)

Like Monty Python says:
Quote:
…this is supposed to be a happy occasion…
https://youtu.be/AmtSj4wH5Rg
Old 12-03-2022, 04:45 PM

I’m really excited about this news. My main computer still an i9 but at home I’ve been rocking a mac book M1 pro. And hope that it will perform better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hackintosh, 3,7 GHz 10-Core Intel i9, 64 GB 3200 MHz DDR4, OSX Catalina 10.15.7, PT HDX 2023.9.0, SSL 4040G+, tons of outboard

Mac Book M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, OSX 23.6, PT Studio 2023.9.0
Old 12-03-2022, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
Like Monty Python says:

https://youtu.be/AmtSj4wH5Rg
If you're going to post a link to the whole movie then I'm going to have a hard time not watching it front to back. Never gets old or boring.
Old 12-03-2022, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidelis View Post
I’m really excited about this news. My main computer still an i9 but at home I’ve been rocking a mac book M1 pro. And hope that it will perform better.
I'm shure it will rock!
But I'm not expecting a big improvement processor-wise when it comes to PT native vs rosetta. PT via Rosetta is rock solid. And you can sense the power of the M1 chip. My guess is there will be some processor efficiency improvement, but certainly also a lot of growing pains with the big transition.
Old 12-03-2022, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
If you're going to post a link to the whole movie then I'm going to have a hard time not watching it front to back. Never gets old or boring.
I'm sorry. I tested it a couple of times and I thought, 'that's great, a share-link from YT takes you to the exact place in the video'. Obviously, I was wrong.

For anyone interested in hearing the quote:
it's at 58min 00sec
Old 12-03-2022, 08:03 PM

I was curious about this statement: "Pro Tools will still launch by default using Rosetta 2 but users can switch to run natively and try out the improved performance as well as using partner plugins."

Will there be a Rosetta2/Apple Silicon switch programmed at the startup for Protools? Or will we manually disable Rosetta 2 before starting Protools to run in Apple silicon native mode? Or will we be able to switch from Rosetta 2 mode to Apple Silicon Native mode on the fly while running Protools? I don't know about the software architecture so I am curious if we switch to run Protools in Apple Silicon Native but encounter a non-native plugin, with Protools switch back to Rosetta 2, or the plugin won't run, or Protools will crash? My limited understanding is it needs to all be Apple Silicon Native or all be Rosetta 2. I realize that this is a dilemma that we anticipated, but it still part of the transition process and growing pains we face.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.3.1 running Protools 2024.3
Old 12-03-2022, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon View Post
I was curious about this statement: "Pro Tools will still launch by default using Rosetta 2 but users can switch to run natively and try out the improved performance as well as using partner plugins."

Will there be a Rosetta2/Apple Silicon switch programmed at the startup for Protools? Or will we manually disable Rosetta 2 before starting Protools to run in Apple silicon native mode? Or will we be able to switch from Rosetta 2 mode to Apple Silicon Native mode on the fly while running Protools? I don't know about the software architecture so I am curious if we switch to run Protools in Apple Silicon Native but encounter a non-native plugin, with Protools switch back to Rosetta 2, or the plugin won't run, or Protools will crash? My limited understanding is it needs to all be Apple Silicon Native or all be Rosetta 2. I realize that this is a dilemma that we anticipated, but it still part of the transition process and growing pains we face.
There is not such thing really as "switching on the fly". A process has to be either Intel (run under Rosetta) or Apple Native. Avid could have something in Pro Tools you check and then have it fully restart but each developer reinventing the wheel each time they want to do stuff is not a good idea. What I would expect Avid (or anybody else) to do is utilize the standard Mac way of handling forcing or disabling Rosetta for a universal binary. Which is bring up the information panel for that app and check or uncheck the "Open Using Rosetta" check box. I expect Avid will just ship with "Open Using Rosetta" checked and let the user uncheck that if if they want to try running Apple silicon native.

While it's technically possible for vendors to do what Apple did with Logic Pro and support Intel plugins in an Apple silicon native DAW (they run Intel plugins in a separate host process running under Rosetta) I doubt (==guess) Avid, or most vendors would do that. It's a lot of work and risks destabilizing stuff more, and oh which DAW out there already has a bad reputation for plugin CPU processing issues..., and the world is well into the migration to Apple Silicon so time to look forwards not backwards.

Maybe time to start working out now what plugins you really need to have on Apple silicon and watching those vendors for announcements.

More here: https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=422689
Old 12-03-2022, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
What is a fact is that I was beta testing for DigiDesign during the previous PPC --> Intel transition.
Which was 16 years ago and not relevant in this case.
Old 12-04-2022, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
What I would expect Avid (or anybody else) to do is utilize the standard Mac way of handling forcing or disabling Rosetta for a universal binary. Which is bring up the information panel for that app and check or uncheck the "Open Using Rosetta" check box. I expect Avid will just ship with "Open Using Rosetta" checked and let the user uncheck that if if they want to try running Apple silicon native.
Yes, that's what I would expect too. It's been the same for Ableton Live - and in my case, I'm still running that mostly in Rosetta due to plugin compatibility issues. The switching is very straightforward tho'.

Nothing wrong with a public beta imo - I actually think that is a good thing, so long as they have a good way to collate feedback.
Old 12-04-2022, 10:11 AM

they should make a hard fork........then move forward.....and phase the old one out over a year.