Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2006, 02:42 AM

Default Is it worth the money?

Right now I'm using fruityloops 6, soundforge 8, and a whole bunch of LPs to sample from. I'm debating whether or not I should spend the money and buy protools since I just recently built a badass computer with a delta 1010 soundcard. Getting protools would mean learning a completely different peice of software, how steep is the learning curve? I dont think that using fruityloops necessarily means you can't make world class music, just look at Concord Dawn and 9th Wonder.

So tell me, what are some good reasons to switch to protools (or at least experiment with it on the side)?
Old 02-21-2006, 05:32 AM

Default Re: Is it worth the money?

I have a similiar arrangement ---

FL6 (Excellent)
VEGAS (Easy to use, but does not have any midi)
ACID (Easy to use, but only loop edit per track)
SOUND FORGE (Easy to use but not a full wave editing environment, like WaveLab)
NATIVE INSTRUMENTS Complete (Exceptional)
MACKIE TRAKTION (Another powerful tool at a price that is just irresistable)

The reason why I brought Pro-tools LE 7 M-Audio was simply to experience a better mixing environment as well as to prepare for future work with Pro-Tools HD, FLSTUDIO is very poor when it comes to bring the mixing environment and automation functions to a basic interface, it is an incredibly powerful tool (it is truly unlimited), but PT is better for your music production because you are working in an environment where you can mix with much more accuracy and creating different combinations can be done easily.

It is worth the $249.00 -- and besides people are so trend driven -- when you say yeah I am working with PT they automatic say --- wow so you must make good music (we all know the truth however).
Old 02-21-2006, 07:26 AM

You really should try the demo and decide for yourself.

I personally think it's worth the $250. You might not. It's all a mtter of personal preference.

A point I would like to make: FL can be rewired into Pro Tools, so you can still incorporate it into your production.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 02-21-2006, 11:07 AM

IT's worth the 250, but bear in mind how picky Pro Tools is compared to other software. I do prefer it for full blown multitrack recorded music projects. But if I'm doing loop based/sample based "production" music or sound design I prefer my other SONY products, just because they are faster for editing and looping.
Of course if you plan to take your mixes out of house or do any recording collaboration we're kinda stuck with Pro Tools. I've worked with Pro Tools steadily since it was only the Sound Designer app with the audio media card on a Mac, and I'll tell you it has taken Digidesign a LONG time to "perfect" their software.
In short, a combination of tools you are familiar with is better than only one in the long run.