How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2009, 08:42 PM

Default Mono Instrument Track VS Stereo Instrument Track

Hello,

Pro Tools 8 has the option that you can choose either mono or stereo for your instrument track using plug-ins. I am so confused, should I stick with stereo? What's the advantage and disadvantage of it? Thank you.
Old 04-18-2009, 02:18 AM

Default Re: Mono Instrument Track VS Stereo Instrument Track

Are you using a mono or stereo instrument plug-in?

Most synths and samplers are stereo though. I hardly ever use a mono instrument track.

The advantage of a stereo instrument track is you can hear things in stereo not mono.

Old 04-19-2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeedGuy View Post
Are you using a mono or stereo instrument plug-in?

Most synths and samplers are stereo though. I hardly ever use a mono instrument track.

The advantage of a stereo instrument track is you can hear things in stereo not mono.
Well, I am using Boom plug-in which could be either mono or stereo track. Mono track doesn't mean it sounds mono in terms of instrument track because i can still hear the sound on both speakers for mono track.

Is there any difference between mono and stereo tracks, anyone? Thank you
Old 04-19-2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbox2issue View Post
Well, I am using Boom plug-in which could be either mono or stereo track. Mono track doesn't mean it sounds mono in terms of instrument track because i can still hear the sound on both speakers for mono track.

Is there any difference between mono and stereo tracks, anyone? Thank you
Ummmm...do you know the difference between mono and stereo ?

If not , you should do some serious reading/googling/listening before you delve any further into protools
Old 04-19-2009, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77pro View Post
Ummmm...do you know the difference between mono and stereo ?

If not , you should do some serious reading/googling/listening before you delve any further into protools
Ok thanks a lot for not helping...... YES I do know the difference between mono stereo, but this is not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about instrument MIDI (not wave) tracks using plug-ins in Pro Tools....Both mono and stereo tracks sound exactly the same. Digidesign had them in Pro Tools for a reason. There must be some advantages and dis-advantages that I don't know. That's why I am asking if anyone knows it.. Please do everyone a favor. If you are not helping, please don't comment in anyone's topic, THANK YOU. I also watched the video that included in the Pro Tools package (stereo midi track in Pro Tools doesn't mean the sound is in stereo...).
Old 04-20-2009, 05:57 AM

When a VI patch has 100% correlated output, use a mono inst track to save CPU power. Otherwise, use stereo - unless you want it to sum the output to mono or play back only one of the channels, depending on how that particular VI works.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 04-20-2009, 06:56 AM

It all depends on what you are doing. Say you are using BFD...a stereo instrument track would be great for overhead mikes. A mono instrument track would be great if you made a bunch of them, and routed each individual drum to its own track.

HP Pavilion P6000, AMD Athlon II X2 240 (2.8GHz), FOXCONN 2AB1 MoBo, 16GB DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS, Two WD Caviar Black Internal500 gig, One WD External 300 Gig, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit, SD2, Metal Foundry, Focusrite Saffire 6, PT 9.03 (stable), Gibson Les Paul Studio (Drop D), Fender Tele (nashville tuning), hand built Carvin Bolt (finished!)
Old 04-20-2009, 08:23 AM

Some plugins will change your mono track to a stereo track. This may be why you don't notice a difference.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:21 PM

Ahh I see, the stereo instrument track does sound better than mono track, but the dis-advantage of it is that it's using too much CPU power compared to mono track. More mono tracks = better than stereo track since it's using less CPU power unless we have a powerful computer. This is very great help, thanks a lot for helping everyone.