Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 11-14-2009, 11:23 AM

Default Anybody doing game audio?

Hi,
Anybody here who has done audio for videogames; xbox360 or playstation2 ?

Recently I was given an opportunity to edit sound effects for a game, but since I´ve done only films I have a lot of questions

-Levels / dynamics. Do you deliver all the files limited / compressed to a certain level and let the consoles audio engine to do the mixing? Or do you do some sort of "premixing" by giving different levels to different "groups" of effects - the groups being dialog, effects, music and ambience/backgrounds? If so, what would the levels be?

-How to deal with multichannel effects? Can I use stereo and LCR-effects or is it mono only?
How ´bout 5.0 ambiences? Or is it better to let the audio engine build the 360° soundfield out of multiple stereo files?
LFE channel?

-Dolby Digital? Does the console encode the audio?

-Foley. Steps, clothes and props related to clothes mixed all together in a file, or three separate files?

-Loops. Do you edit your ( ambience ) effects to be loopable? If so, how long the loops are?

What are the questions I should be asking? Any info greatly appreciated!
thanks!
Old 11-14-2009, 04:31 PM

Default Re: Anybody doing game audio?

It might be worthwhile asking these guys - www.mere-mortals.com - they do film too.

try and get a copy of July's Audio Media - has a game sound special, think a PDF is on www.audiomedia.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurovision View Post
Hi,
Anybody here who has done audio for videogames; xbox360 or playstation2 ?

Recently I was given an opportunity to edit sound effects for a game, but since I´ve done only films I have a lot of questions

-Levels / dynamics. Do you deliver all the files limited / compressed to a certain level and let the consoles audio engine to do the mixing? Or do you do some sort of "premixing" by giving different levels to different "groups" of effects - the groups being dialog, effects, music and ambience/backgrounds? If so, what would the levels be?

-How to deal with multichannel effects? Can I use stereo and LCR-effects or is it mono only?
How ´bout 5.0 ambiences? Or is it better to let the audio engine build the 360° soundfield out of multiple stereo files?
LFE channel?

-Dolby Digital? Does the console encode the audio?

-Foley. Steps, clothes and props related to clothes mixed all together in a file, or three separate files?

-Loops. Do you edit your ( ambience ) effects to be loopable? If so, how long the loops are?

What are the questions I should be asking? Any info greatly appreciated!
thanks!
Old 11-19-2009, 11:11 AM

i've been working on an xbox "indie" game, for xbox live. And have sort of been just playing it by ear, and haven't found a lot of great resources.

The 5.1 encoding happens at the game level, so, at least in the XNA Game studio environment, I make my effects mono or stereo, and set pans in XACT.

I've been making ambiences loopable, around 10-20 seconds.

I've been doing as little mixing prior to integration as possible, as you can group effects in XACT, and that allows for a lot more freedom when you want to change stuff on the fly and make quick changes to the game mix.

Again, the game's not done, and i'm still learning alot, but those are the things i've found working on the xbox XNA platform so far. Any additional resources would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:49 PM

Might want to check here: http://www.audiogang.org/
Old 11-20-2009, 11:16 AM

Thanks! I´ll check out the links.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:46 PM

Every game is different. These are questions that need to be answered by your developer.

-Dave
Old 12-02-2009, 03:01 PM

Mere mortals are in Newcastle UK and their audio guy is Ex YTV film dubbing dept.

I know him very well.