Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2020, 12:20 PM

Default Mac Pro 2013 - PT2020 - Catalina - working?

I need to do a clean installation of my system and am wondering if making the leap to Catalina and PT2020.3 is anybody here using this config?

J
Old 05-19-2020, 12:27 PM

Default Re: Mac Pro 2013 - PT2020 - Catalina - working?

I'm running on 10.15.3 (DON'T UPDATE TO 10.15.4!) but on a MacPro 7,1. Everything is working fine here though, except for the published issues with quick time. https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...3-Release-Info
Old 05-20-2020, 10:12 PM

Apologies that this is slightly off topic but in my own experience, my 8-core 2013 trashcan with 64GB of RAM running OS 10.14.6 wasn't loving PT2020.3 and I was concerned with some random complete shut-downs. After weeks (months? years?) of force-quitting my way through the day in desperation I sprang for the new cheese grater Mac Pro. Obviously, it shipped with Catalina - luckily 10.15.2 so I could use an older updater to get to 10.15.3. Took a few days to re-install everything. I was careful to only install Catalina-approved software.

Just so you know, the new security procedures thanks to Catalina are exhausting. SO many more clicks-per-task to approve things EVERY step of the way. It'll make you loathe those individual plug-in installers. (I'm talking to you Klevgrand. I love you, but... ouch.)

I noticed that for what I assume to be security / permissions-related reasons plugin presets are not always showing up or being saved in spite of giving PT the broadest possible permission in the new OS security settings. Maybe I missed something but I think it has something to do with installers that point to the user library. FabFilter has directions for manually installing presets for example. Still, I can't use features like "set as user default" on plugins like Click for example. So that's fun. No one else seems to have this issue yet so I'm at a loss for fixing that. Freestyling. Trial and error. Feels great to mess around with a fresh install like that.

For Logic and everything else, the computer itself is ZIPPY to say the least. BUT, good old PT still crashes and freezes even with all the latest Catalina-approved plugins and 224GB of RAM, 16-core processors, and two additional internal PCIe OWC SSD's running at ridiculous read/write speeds for VI's and sessions. Like I said, desperation was involved. And I don't want to update for another 7 years.

I'm doing music production so it's typically a VI / aux bus / master bus CPU bottleneck issue for me. Particularly noticing that AutoTune, MagicDeathEye (mono and stereo) and iZotope Ozone9 have been CPU hogs. I'm very sad to report that it doesn't take long before a decent mix session spikes and you have to reach for the buffer.... or Force Quit AGAIN.

It's also very annoying that you cannot import AAC files anymore. I use another app to convert them to WAV's and then drag them in. Also having a problem sending any audio files (large or small) via Messages that I'm guessing is also Mac OS related. NO PROBLEM WITH THE CAT GIF's but heaven forbid I send an mp3. LOL I'm accustomed to sending out quick references over Messages but now have to email everything. (poor me I know)

So I guess it's still the early days for Catalina and PT 2020.3. For me, it's a step in the right direction from my 2013 Mac Pro. Again, sorry it's a bit off topic - just thought it might be helpful to hear someone else's situation having just recently asked myself the same question.
Old 05-21-2020, 02:54 AM

10.15.4 & 2020.3 eunning very well here after clean install.

How many threads we need for the same thing?
Old 05-21-2020, 10:32 AM

Sticking with High Sierra on my MP 2013 - if it ain't broke....
Old 05-21-2020, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmixer View Post
Sticking with High Sierra on my MP 2013 - if it ain't broke....
Suit yourself. You do realise that Catalina support dropped Sierra support so once the next Apple Place is supported later this year, they will likely drop HS support with it