Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 09-01-2010, 08:05 PM

Default Re: Anyone running a Westmere MacPro yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARVINBASS View Post
I heard that it's default, boots in 64bit. Maybe that's the problem?
Yes, VERY TRUE - mwandmacher... force boot in 32 Bit mode ( I THINK hold 3 and 2 Keys down?? You'll have to google it) - and see if all your problems go away.

- MacStudio M1
- HDX II Sonnet xMacStudio
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
- ProTools Dock / S1 / Control App
Old 09-01-2010, 09:02 PM

Interesting on the 32-bit boot thing, but it still doesn't account for the fact that a new machine doesn't run supposedly qualified hardware without using a not-in-the-manual band-aid. I'm not about to run out and replace a loaded chassis with new hardware to match the computer. That's like buying a new car. PLENTY of other apps use PCI bridge cards to create a stable dialog between 32 and 64-bit.

I went back to the old Xeon machine (running Snow Leopard) after sussing out a video card problem and it's a rock, no matter how hard I push it. It never crashes.

Westmere machines thread RAM differently than Nehalem machines according to every Mac forum I've looked through. My guess is that that has more to do with ProTools issues than anything else.

We'll see how my DP rig fares with Westmere now...at least I have a new machine to build a mirror and test it out.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:21 PM

There were none at at Apple Stores in LA as of last week.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:54 AM

I'm expecting a 12 core 2.66 12GB soon and would like to keep this thread alive.
I've had a Chassis for a month or two for the x cards. I believe the 32 bit-boot can be default set from the console.
I also have a 2009-8 core with chassis running stable in 10.6.4 (PT's 8.0.4)
Tech input as discovered is appreciated.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARVINBASS View Post
I heard that it's default, boots in 64bit. Maybe that's the problem?
That is true when you start up the computer Hold down the numbers 32 so it boots in 32 bit mode

I upgrade my computer every year. I have to say this has been the smoothest upgrade ever. I also so have a crazy amount of Plug ins and VI's and I just put in a UAD Quad card. Flawless so far
Old 09-03-2010, 11:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touchwood Studios View Post
There were none at at Apple Stores in LA as of last week.
No Stores will carry the 12. But I got my 8 core from Century City Last week
Old 09-03-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edadema View Post
That is true when you start up the computer Hold down the numbers 32 so it boots in 32 bit mode

I upgrade my computer every year. I have to say this has been the smoothest upgrade ever. I also so have a crazy amount of Plug ins and VI's and I just put in a UAD Quad card. Flawless so far
So you're starting in 32 bit mode and it's working? Not entirely clear based on your post what startup mode you're using.

I have a client sitting around waiting for all this to get figured out so we can buy a rig - if you're saying the 8-core Westemere is working then you may have finally ended our weeks of waiting. Any further info you can give on what you're using would be most helpful.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwandmacher View Post
Interesting on the 32-bit boot thing, but it still doesn't account for the fact that a new machine doesn't run supposedly qualified hardware without using a not-in-the-manual band-aid.
It sure would have been nice (i.e. helpful) had you tried to boot your new Westmere in 32-bit mode with your current expanded PT hardware. A lot of folks around here are “in limbo” until someone actually gives it a proper try.

The quick evaporation of 2009 Nehalem stock and Digidesign’s notoriously slow approval process make this a particularly thorny issue, this time around.

A missed opportunity for a substantial contribution, I’d say.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 09-03-2010, 05:02 PM

I have a new 12-core running PT 8.1cs1. I haven't really tested it beyond opening ProTools and just making sure it can record audio. I only got it yesterday, and I'm still installing drives and software and pulling cables in the machine room.

One slightly unexpected trouble has been with the three monitor setup. I really want to have three, but two of my monitors are slightly old Dell ones that are DVI-I single link, not DVI-D. Buried deep in the Apple website is the caveat that if you're running two Mini Display Port to DVI single link adapters then you can only get two monitors out of the three outputs. I would like to buy a new Apple monitor, but you can't buy an extension cable for the mini display ports beyond 6 feet. I may have to buy a new, non-Apple, DVI-D monitor.

I realize that paragraph may not interest many people here. I'll post again once i had a chance to really play around with the Playback Engine settings -- buffer, processors, percentage -- that's what I'm really interested in.

By the way, my new machine has three SSD drives, so I'm looking forward to seeing how that goes, too.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:12 PM

Hi eagle eyes.
3 monitors was my pull in and I missed that detail, Thank you.

So your saying use:
1 MDP-DVI single link,
1 MDP-DVI Dual link
and the DVI port for the card to see all 3 monitors (DVI-D)?

I bought the 2 MDP to DVI singles. (Next week delivery of the 12 core)
So, exchange one or do both adaptors need to be DVI-dual link for three?