Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-06-2005, 07:28 PM

Default 002 - can\'t get decent record level on line inputs

I recently got a new Digi 002 and have just started to use it with more than one or two mics plugged in. A pro tools newbie. Had an analog setup for years.

I have an acoustic guitar that I normally run through an LR Baggs PADI preamp - works great on stage.
When I plugged the Baggs pre into any of the 4 line ins - I couldn't get the record level to move out of the low green. This is with the gain on the Baggs all the way up. Changed to a short 2 ft. cable between the Baggs and the 002. Still no difference.

OK, I thought - the LR Baggs might not be the right device for the 002 - so - My 002 came with a free ART TubeMP OP preamp. It worked great for just a couple of minutes, nice hot level - but - only if I have the +20 DB gain button pushed, and only if I have Phantom power on. I'm using the 1/4 inch connectors in and out, not the xlr's so I can't figure out how phantom power affects it. But sure enough - if I hit the phantom pwr button it works for a few minutes then dies back down to an unusable gain level. Same thing - nice short fat cable or a 10 ft. instrument cable. Makes no difference. Switching between +4 to -10 simply lowers the level further.

Both work fine if I go through channels 1-4 and use the preamp in the 002. Of course, no need for a preamp then.

So, I'm really confused and don't know where to look. The only device I can say is surely not defective is the LR Baggs. Been using it for 2 years. The 002 works in all other respects.

Am I looking at a defective 002? I wouldn't think all 4 line ins would be defective. The Baggs works elsewhere. The ART Tube pre needs phantom power to work for 5 minutes through the 1/4 plug.

Anyone else using an LR Baggs or ART Tube into the 002 line level ins? Any thoughts? I swear I haven't done drugs in years. Maybe it's time to start again.....

I'll try to test the ART in another config this week to see if it works elsewhere.

Thanks for any help.

- Scott