Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 03-23-2000, 08:02 AM

Default PowerBook G3 500

Which Protools soft can run in a 500Mhz PowerBook, 128 ram, OS 9.0.2.?
I have a 9600, PT 5, 888, usd, etc,in the studio, and it would be very helpfull if I can make some work in the Powerbook.

Regards

Old 03-23-2000, 09:21 AM
Administrator

Default Re: PowerBook G3 500

I have Pro Tools 4.3.1 PowerMix running on the same PowerBook config you have. Just put it on a couple of days ago, though, so I haven't done much with it yet and can't give any kind of performance report.

There is no PowerMix version of Pro Tools 5.

------------------
Bruce Paine
eMarketing
Old 03-23-2000, 11:44 AM

I am waiting for my G3/500 powerbook to come in. My main goal was to set it up as a Video-editing station with FinalCut-Pro.Now I was wondering since Finalcut-Pro supports Machine-control over a USB(converted to serial) port if there is anyway I can make Finalcut-Pro to talk to my Protools Computer(9600/PT5) with the Machine-Contol option??????
In other words will Protools see the Powerbook/FCP as a VTR and be able to control it!!!!!

PS. It would be nice if there was a Powermix 5.0 for some offline editing!!!
Old 03-24-2000, 03:44 PM

Thank you Bruce.

Where I can get a Powermix? Is in any PT software CD?
Old 04-25-2000, 03:10 AM

Hi Bruce,

Any more sucess with PT 4.3.1 and OS 9 on your powerbook. We would like to get round the DAE error 42 problem and OS 9.x is the answer?

Thanks,

------------------
Mike Thornton
One Stop Digital (OSD) Ltd.
http://www.osd-uk.com
Old 04-28-2000, 07:20 PM
Administrator

Hi Mike, nothing really to report yet.
I honestly haven't had any time to dig into it, working on a major overhaul of the website. I'd hate to tell you that it works well when I've really only opened it a few times. I'd like to use the PowerBook some more, but I also have a 9600/MIXplus system that gets used the most when needed.
I definitely will report, though, when I do get more time on the powerbook.

------------------
Bruce Paine
eMarketing
Old 04-29-2000, 06:39 AM

How about a firewire version of 001?

There has also been some rumours on DUC that Digidesign is working on their own laptop solution "with a possible announcement around NAB 2000 (April)".

Hi Bruce. Maybe when you have a minute or two you could walk down to Mike Rockwell in the engeneering departement and hear what he is up to?

Digi Engineering
posted September 27, 1999 05:45 PM *** **** ** **
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">quote:<HR>
PT LE will do 24-bit files. I will not run on the Power Book in the first release but look for some info on that front in not too distant future.
-Mike Rockwell
[This message has been edited by Digi Engineering (edited 09-27-99).]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks,
Carson
Old 04-29-2000, 11:45 AM

Just got a new Powerbook G3 (actually, a '99 Lombard model-still need that SCSI-stuff...) and really want to run some high quality audio on it. I just finished a search of the archives regarding the Digigram card, and it sure would be nice if this would work. Seems Digi is being the problem here, with this ridiculous PT 5.0 LE thing. Nothing new so far...

So, what is happening with portable recording at Digidesign? This is a product that is truly wanted in the marketplace. Didn't hear of anything even being rumored at NAB. Let's keep the heat on Digidesign to come up with some answers to this one!

Bob
Old 06-04-2000, 01:36 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">quote:<HR>Originally posted by trakbytes:
Just got a new Powerbook G3 (actually, a '99 Lombard model-still need that SCSI-stuff...) and really want to run some high quality audio on it. I just finished a search of the archives regarding the Digigram card, and it sure would be nice if this would work. Seems Digi is being the problem here, with this ridiculous PT 5.0 LE thing. Nothing new so far...

So, what is happening with portable recording at Digidesign? This is a product that is truly wanted in the marketplace. Didn't hear of anything even being rumored at NAB. Let's keep the heat on Digidesign to come up with some answers to this one!

Bob
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Helllo I am whit you thats the best configuration digigram PCMCIA 24 bit 2 in out and digi , working whit PROTOOLS LE than you dont need to carry big chassis for pci slots just your powerbook G3 and small cables

MURAT