Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2022, 01:43 PM

Default Re: New "Mac Studio" from Apple

I am currently running the latest PT Ultimate on my M1 Mac Mini with 16GB Ram. I just ordered a Mac Studio Max with 32gb ram. What should I realistically expect to gain in performance over all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re-Recording Mixer/Sound Designer
Nova Scotia Canada

OS Ventura 13.0
Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12
Mac Studio Max 32GB Ram

OS 10.8.5
Pro Tools HD Accel Version 10.3.8
Mid 2012 Mac Pro 5,1 32GB Ram
Old 07-02-2022, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTools1963 View Post
I am currently running the latest PT Ultimate on my M1 Mac Mini with 16GB Ram. I just ordered a Mac Studio Max with 32gb ram. What should I realistically expect to gain in performance over all?
I had a 16GB M1 Mac mini before I got my Mac Studio, so I'm pretty familiar with both. You can expect roughly twice the performance from the Mac Studio. It's not exactly twice as fast (single core processor speeds are nearly identical), but you do get twice as many performance cores and double the RAM with the Mac Studio, which equates to roughly twice as much processing power in Pro Tools. You'll be able to work with larger, more processor-intensive (plugins, virtual instruments, etc.) sessions on the Mac Studio than even the impressively capable M1 Mac mini can handle.

PT 2023.6 Ultimate (Perpetual) | Avid Carbon | M1 Max Mac Studio; 32 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.

PT 2023.6 Studio (Perpetual) | M1 MacBook Air; 16 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.
Old 07-02-2022, 03:31 PM
Development Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post
I had a 16GB M1 Mac mini before I got my Mac Studio, so I'm pretty familiar with both. You can expect roughly twice the performance from the Mac Studio. It's not exactly twice as fast (single core processor speeds are nearly identical), but you do get twice as many performance cores and double the RAM with the Mac Studio, which equates to roughly twice as much processing power in Pro Tools. You'll be able to work with larger, more processor-intensive (plugins, virtual instruments, etc.) sessions on the Mac Studio than even the impressively capable M1 Mac mini can handle.
You'll also get a much faster on-chip bus, which will let you get audio in and out of the chip faster.
Old 07-02-2022, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post

Thanks so much for the information!!!!

Nova Scotia Canada

OS Ventura 13.0
Mac Studio Max 32GB Ram

OS 10.8.5
Old 07-02-2022, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Carnes View Post
You'll also get a much faster on-chip bus, which will let you get audio in and out of the chip faster.

Thanks for that!!!

Nova Scotia Canada

OS Ventura 13.0
Mac Studio Max 32GB Ram

OS 10.8.5
Old 07-05-2022, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasswing View Post
If 2021.12 wasn't working so well for me I might feel different about experimenting.
That was a relatively stable version for us as well. If nothing else, you could always fall back to it if the update isn't smooth. Keep that 2021.12 installer handy.
Old 07-06-2022, 10:50 AM

Just picked up a Mac Studio M1 Max. So far so good. Just a stock model with 32gb of ram.

Pro Tools seems to be ok on it. Plugins are ok. Any word on when we will be fully native?
Old 07-06-2022, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumzalicious View Post
Any word on when we will be fully native?
None, and I don't think they'll let us know in advance. I think creation of the Native version will force Avid to look into dark closets in the PT code that they're hoping to avoid. Those may take some time to address.
Old 07-06-2022, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
None, and I don't think they'll let us know in advance. I think creation of the Native version will force Avid to look into dark closets in the PT code that they're hoping to avoid. Those may take some time to address.
Yes, this!!

In the mean time, everyone should just get on and enjoy using these beasts of machines!
Have zero issues running Pro Tools under Rosetta.
AVID Collab user - mattrixx

MacStudio Ultra / LogicProX / IzotopeRX10+ / SourceConnect / MelodyneStudio5 / WAVES Mercury / NI KompleteUltimate / ProToolsUltimate / RME UFX, UFXII, Babyface / AVID S3 + DOCK / Barefoot MM27 gen2 / Barefoot FP01
Old 07-06-2022, 04:19 PM
Development Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
They're probably going to have to work with developers to get a critical mass of plugins working in Native mode. And of course they have tons of their own plugins. It may be that they need a sandbox (Logic has one) where plugins can run under Rosetta, even when PT itself is native. Huge amount of work any way you look at it.