Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2009, 05:43 PM

Default OT: Studio Scams

Guys and Gals,
Just want to give you the skinny on a new scam, or new to me, at least. I received email from "Jason Yuan" at hrryj77 @ aol.com. The email claimed to solicit my studio for recording a Malaysian gospel group. I researched this and found nothing. I gave him some alternate studios in town and declined.

Then I got a really detailed response to my declination. Pretty incredible, actually. I declined again but then turned my search efforts to "Jason Yuan scam". I hit paydirt.

Anyway, my "Jason" is immaterial, but the scam is that these guys send you a counterfeit cashier's check for your fee upfront, but they include some number above and beyond your fee. You're supposed to forward this extra money to a translator or additional party who will be at the session. So you cash the check, keep your fee and send the extra to the third-party. Weeks later, your bank discovers the check is a fraud but now you've sent your own money to the third party. Of course you're liable for the entire amount.

I emailed him again to let him know I'd send his info to the authorities. Can anybody suggest the best authorities? 419eater.com?

Hope this saves somebody some wasted time in the future.
Thanks,
Greg
AMD Radeon HD 6570
2 WDC WD10EURX-63FH1Y0
www.soundchasm.com
Old 11-01-2009, 05:55 PM

Default Re: OT: Studio Scams

Thanks for the heads up on this one
Its a variation of what some try to pull off on ebay and craigslist. If you can print the thread of emails, I would forward to the state Attorney General.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-02-2009, 09:48 PM

Even though it's a lost cause, I have forwarded the materials to some authorities. Since there hasn't been a crime committed yet, there's not a lot to do. But this is one of those things that made no sense at all from the very first moment.

It was absolutely bizarre that whoever this guy is, he knew enough to make it sound like a cake job, with rhythm beds pre-recorded, dubbing vocals one at a time, their own HDD for backup, and a budget for mixing and mastering, all dependent on a sponsor in NYC.

What really flipped my BS switch was his insistence that we schedule something after my first declination. Anyway, trust your instincts about things that don't add up!
AMD Radeon HD 6570
2 WDC WD10EURX-63FH1Y0
www.soundchasm.com
Old 11-04-2009, 10:08 AM

I just got a gratifying letter from a fellow who was currently being sucked in by this fellow. He found my internet posts after "Jason" sent him a check for more than his bid. He turned the materials over to the State Attorney General's office.

Hooray for our side.
AMD Radeon HD 6570
2 WDC WD10EURX-63FH1Y0
www.soundchasm.com
Old 11-04-2009, 12:01 PM

Sounds like you saved him.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 11-04-2009, 12:03 PM

I got the same email. I responded, then declined. I told him I don't do checks, cash only. Deposits are cash only as well.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:47 PM

Hi,

I read about this on the gearslutz forums, it seems to be happening allot.
I personally only do business with people after meeting with them first and discussing what is wanted and going from there.

Hotstuff
Old 11-04-2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:
am Jason Yuan the band leader of century western gospel singers in Malaysia, we will be in California by November 19th to December and , we are want to use the opportunity to put some of our new tracks on CD, we are six in number so we would like to Book for recording session at your studio, we already have our soundtrack sequenced on CD so we don’t need more than recording, editing, mixing and mastering. so all we need to do in your studio is just to sing on the soundtrack , we have 15 tracks so we will like to book for 10 hours so let us know the available days between November 20th to December 5th so we can choose a date to book, and we will like to know your charges per hour. For recording, editing, mixing and mastering. And do we have to deposit/book ahead of the date?
Kindly forward to us any other information you think we need about your service
Regards
Yuan
As if I'm going to reply to that?

(The first one to me said they were going to be in New York, uhuh...)
Old 11-04-2009, 12:56 PM

Yup, got the same thing almost a month ago. Sounded like a big headache to me, dubbing vocals one at a time for 30 songs in 8 hours? Times aren't THAT tough!
Old 11-04-2009, 12:58 PM

Hahaha! Looks like he toned it down to 15 tracks in 10 hours in your email. I wonder if he got the other 15 recorded all ready?