Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 04-21-2017, 07:19 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 12 HD Annual Renew $399 again?

Can't blame ya...I just see to get from HD9 to HD10 through Avid is $999. That is way, way, way beyond ridiculous but I get it. HD10 is Legacy pretty much but to me it's just the principle of the thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
I'm not going to argue after this post. We all have a price point which is okay. If something costs more, you don't buy. Simple as that.

As for PT prices, I'd say Avid marketing has worded it badly. To begin with, they should have said that the price of a 12-month HD software support is 999 and loyal customers who order support for next year while their plan is still active get a 60% discount. If you think it this way, 399/year doesn't sound so bad.

Ugh.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
Reading this, it's almost as if he knows how bad it's been for the past few years, and is claiming that brighter days are ahead. I hope he's right.
That's an interesting article. I'm hoping PT stays focused on in these supposed releases, rather than them branching out into other apps which I probably won't want to buy anyway. The collaboration stuff is a cool concept, but doesn't sound like it's the focus that most of us want, compared to say stability and usability/efficiency.

"Because we now have subscriptions taking off, there is no reason to wait for major releases. That’s going to start accelerating after Q2." "A chunk of the company’s R&D has been allocated for the implementation of new features as voted on by the Avid Customer Association". Let's hope these prove to be true.

Looking forward to hearing what comes out of NAB!
Old 04-21-2017, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Reading this, it's almost as if he knows how bad it's been for the past few years, and is claiming that brighter days are ahead. I hope he's right.
Hope so to, hope isn't enough for me though. They've sent me two emails warning that my plan is about to expire, but they just say "keep paying for more of the same". NAB, I guess, is the last chance saloon to give us a solid reason to carry on.

Always entertaining to read the parallel universe that is the Avid CEO, mind. Gawd knows what it must be like to live in that company, the corporate-speak is beyond parody levels.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 06-04-2017, 08:38 PM

A little word of caution to those using PTHD daily in post and thinking about skipping the $399 upgrade and letting it slide for a few years until AVID does something great: if you use Revibe II in your post work it will die unexpectedly when your upgrade path dies, and only the $999 reinstatement will revive it. I learned this (to my chagrin) when I ignored my upgrade warnings until two weeks after my 'extension' expired. (I was in the middle of moving and figured I'd have time to deal with it later!)

Rig 1: 2.8GHz Macbook Pro PT 12.7.1 Logic 10.3.2 Scarlett 18i20
Rig 2: 2.66 QuadCore Intel Xeon Logic 10.2.0 Scarlett 18i20 PTHD10.3.10
Old 06-04-2017, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Keyes View Post
A little word of caution to those using PTHD daily in post and thinking about skipping the $399 upgrade and letting it slide for a few years until AVID does something great: if you use Revibe II in your post work it will die unexpectedly when your upgrade path dies, and only the $999 reinstatement will revive it. I learned this (to my chagrin) when I ignored my upgrade warnings until two weeks after my 'extension' expired. (I was in the middle of moving and figured I'd have time to deal with it later!)
Is Revibe one of the bonus plugins you get for being on the HD plan? If so, I understand that. I own revibe II, they can't take that away!

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 06-05-2017, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
Is Revibe one of the bonus plugins you get for being on the HD plan?
http://www.avid.com/pro-tools-hd/included-plug-ins

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 06-05-2017, 03:24 PM

Quote:
I found that helpful Drew. Thanks for posting. We'll see after Q2 what happens. I didn't get much sense it was BS. All depends on the stability of the releases though.

C
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 06-06-2017, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Opinions do vary, but we can all understand there should be some penalty for not upgrading when you have to. With that said, IMO, double price should be the cap.
if there are required periodic payments, it's reasonable to expect a stable software that functions on the latest version of Windows and the last couple iterations of Mac OS.

but Avid's chronically unable to deliver that.

why debate the details of how much the penalty should cost?

for $200, one can buy Logic. which comes with a million software instruments, better MIDI, 5.1/7.1 support, and will rarely crash. then updates are free until the next major version, which will cost another $200.

i love the PT workflow but the (lack of) stability is embarrassing. i decided a while back to not give another dime until things get better.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan jetter View Post
if there are required periodic payments, it's reasonable to expect a stable software that functions on the latest version of Windows and the last couple iterations of Mac OS.

but Avid's chronically unable to deliver that.

why debate the details of how much the penalty should cost?

for $200, one can buy Logic. which comes with a million software instruments, better MIDI, 5.1/7.1 support, and will rarely crash. then updates are free until the next major version, which will cost another $200.

i love the PT workflow but the (lack of) stability is embarrassing. i decided a while back to not give another dime until things get better.
i honestly think that Avid is still growing into the subscription model .. !!! from a reliable source, they are working hard behind the scenes are there are a lot of good people working to fix old things, not create new ones, and add feature as they become something that the market might like ..

my .02

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 06-06-2017, 09:44 AM

12.7.1 has been stable for me now. Finally. That is worth the fee. But I'm afraid to move to 12.8 when it is out. Lol.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited by arche3; 06-06-2017 at 10:15 AM.