Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2004, 11:09 AM

Default The Firedock Firewire Hard Drive Rocks *DELETED*

Post deleted by SHC
Old 01-12-2004, 11:47 AM

Default Re: The Firedock Firewire Hard Drive Rocks

Oh great, now we'll never hear the end of it from where... I guess it's good that it worked for you, but there are so many cheaper solutions out there, I've never understood the draw to that very limited and expensive setup when you can get twice as much storage for the same price. Just my opinion though, I'm sure the performance is great - different strokes for different folks.
Old 01-12-2004, 12:31 PM

Quote:
I've never understood the draw to that very limited and expensive setup when you can get twice as much storage for the same price.
I completely concur with the above statement. I'm not sure you can actually get "twice as much" storage for the same price, but you sure can get more than what the firedock offers...and I'm not talking about cheap drives either...case in point:

A 120GB firedock will run you $300 (and each additional 120GB carrier costs $210). I just put together a firewire drive with a 120GB Seagate Barracuda with 8MB Jumbo cache in an OWC Oxford 911 case for just over $160. Took about 3 mintues to assesmble and it's extremely quiet...borders on completely silent and it is hot swappable (what FW drive isn't?)

You don't want to put one together? Then pay $189 for bascially the same thing.

I really don't mean to knock where's wares, but it just doesn't make much sense...especially when the firedock website states "This is the most economical firewire device on the market." which it clearly is not.

DOH! I just checked and Slim was right... you can get MORE than double the firewire storage for LESS than price of a comparable firedock... here
Old 01-13-2004, 10:52 AM

Default Re: The Firedock Firewire Hard Drive Rocks *DELETE

Quote:
Post deleted by SHC
???
Old 01-13-2004, 12:10 PM

Default Re: The Firedock Firewire Hard Drive Rocks *DELETE

I just bought a OWC Firewire (800/400/USB) Mercury Pro Elite 160GB hard drive, meaning it has the Digi unsupported Oxford 922 chip, instead of the Oxford 911. Has anyone tried using one with PT LE 5.1.1? I don't use a lot of tracks, plug-ins, etc. I need drive storage for other stuff anyway, but...would like to use this drive for music if possible.

I haven't been following this tread, sorry. Maybe this has all been discussed before...

Hey, wait, maybe I can just use it for all my new GarageBand music!

Old 01-19-2004, 01:59 PM

I also bought the OWC 922 Chipset Firewire Drive without realizing the problems. Lucky for me I'm still on 9.2.2 and this drive has the 1.5 Firmware Revision already which supposedly will take care of the eventual Panther problem. Call OWC tech support(They'll pick up pretty quickly) and tell you what firmware revision your drive has. You'll need your receipt though.

Sonik