Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2012, 11:09 AM

Default SSDs

recently got one gonna buy another one soon... should i put it in Raid 1 with a 2nd SSD? or should i have it with Pro tools running off one HD and my session running on another?

Thanks
Old 10-20-2012, 11:11 AM

Default Re: SSDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweepxcore View Post
recently got one gonna buy another one soon... should i put it in Raid 1 with a 2nd SSD? or should i have it with Pro tools running off one HD and my session running on another?

Thanks
Don't use RAID, no need and adds stuff to fail/cause problems.

Darryl
Old 10-20-2012, 11:34 AM

With ProTools 10, RAID no longer an issue at all, perfectly safe to use. You risk losing data if either drive fails, but SSDs are so reliable, you should be scared away.

That said, they're also so fast, you probably wouldn't even see much of an increase in noticeable speed using one, so I would probably just keep them separate too. Also makes swapping one out later easier as they get cheaper and you want to move up in size.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNielsen View Post
With ProTools 10, RAID no longer an issue at all, perfectly safe to use. You risk losing data if either drive fails, but SSDs are so reliable, you should be scared away.

That said, they're also so fast, you probably wouldn't even see much of an increase in noticeable speed using one, so I would probably just keep them separate too. Also makes swapping one out later easier as they get cheaper and you want to move up in size.
The blanket statement about RAID and Pro Tools 10 is just not correct. I would hate to see people thinking there is some magic that happened in Pro Tools 10 that makes RAID perfectly safe/guaranteed to work reliably. Avid still specifically recommends single non-RAID local disk is used for audio/session recording. Yes pro Tools 10 improved low level IO but it did not suddenly make any RAID configurations/RAID system work. Please read the Pro Tools 10 release notes where this, and what is formally supported is carefully qualified out by Avid.

Darryl
Old 10-20-2012, 01:13 PM

hmm.. interesting so yes i was correct then.. i thought i was just being cheap.!

i picked up a 2nd SSD just for tracking, and looked around at my 4 HDDs + 1 external
and scratched my head at why i had so much damn storage space.! hahahah....

system backup keeps crashes at bay... RAID is so redundant some times its just silly to waste $$ on it.. as posted.. SSDs already transfer huge amounts of data instantaneously! i mean... bang! right there.... why would you need anything more!???