Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2012, 01:41 PM

Default Floating windows disappearing when switching to Word

Pretty strange, and can't tell what started causing this. I do VO recording and many times I need to read from a Word doc against picture, so switching from Pro Tools to Word without losing my video window is a must.

If I command+tab directly from Pro Tools to Word, my video, big counter or any other floating windows in Pro Tools disappear. However, switching from Pro Tools to any other app, all floating windows remain visible.

Workarounds I've found so far are:

- while in Pro Tools, I do command+tab+tab twice, which takes me back to Word after going to any third app first.

- switching from Pro Tools to Word and back via Mission Control on a hot corner.

I'd still rather be able to do the simple command+tab.

Any ideas?
Old 06-28-2012, 05:46 PM

Default Re: Floating windows disappearing when switching to Word

That doesn't answer your question but I am just wondering....Have you ever considered copying your doc to a stickies. You can resize and have the stickie window "float" option checked and place it anywhere you want in pro-tools without ever loosing it in the background.
http://immersivesoundvr.com/
Old 06-28-2012, 09:05 PM

I'm trying it now and works for great on short sections. While the sticky can be resized freely, the width of the column of text remains fixed. If I increase font size much, then I end up with only 3 or 4 words per line.

Thanks for the tip!
Old 06-29-2012, 11:26 AM

Can you list the hardware your using so I might be able to give you an alternative option?
Old 06-29-2012, 11:49 AM

Digi 002R, iMac 2.93 GHz Intel Core i7 with ATI Radeon HD 5750 graphics chipset. VRAM 1024MB and and 12GB in RAM.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:54 AM

Actually, your question just gave me an idea to try something. I'm actually using a second monitor attached to the iMac's mini DVI port, and it's on that monitor that this happens. If I drag the video window to the main iMac display, I can command+tab between ProTools and Word and the video window remains visible. Unfortunately, I need the video window on the monitor attached to the mini DVI as that's the one that I see in the recording booth.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:07 PM

Then try swapping which monitor goes to which port on the Imac graphics card... see if it swaps which monitor will and will not let you have the word doc open with PT...

Next step is to then go into your control panel and switch which is MAIN versus Extended to see if it goes back to the way it was... well def know the answer after that test
Old 05-01-2013, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The golfer View Post
.Have you ever considered copying your doc to a stickies. You can resize and have the stickie window "float" option checked and place it anywhere you want in pro-tools without ever loosing it in the background.
I'm trying to do this now to label audio suite plugs I have open. No matter what I do Pro Tools steps on any sticky I make, regardless of it's floating status. Anyone else have this issue?
Old 05-01-2013, 08:42 AM

Actually it works with the mix and edit window, but not with plug-in windows.

It's a super lame bug IMHO.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:08 PM

Keep in mind that you're not dealing with different windows, you're dealing with different applications.

You might be able to make it work if you show your application windows stacked or side-by-side, but that's about your only option...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh