Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 06-09-2008, 12:41 AM

Default Previewing MIDI files from DigBase browsers

Whom else would love the ability to preview their MIDI files in Workspace?

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but this would make my job so much easier, all this dragging & dropping back and forth between the timeline and Workspace. Wouldn't it be so much easier to just enable Workspace to preview MIDI files as the Region List - 'Default Thru Instrument' does?

Shouldn't 'Default Thru Instrument' be an option in the Workspace (Browser) pop-up menu?

filosofem
Old 06-09-2008, 01:53 AM

Default Re: Previewing MIDI files from DigBase browsers

This would be a nice option.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:09 PM

Default Re: Previewing MIDI files from DigiBase browsers

As far as I see it, musicalavtech, here's the dilemma, unlike audio file types, as you know, MIDI contains only data and needs a valid output, but it is this assignment to the correct sound, patch, voice that makes it difficult from my stand point.

You see, this is evident with previewing in the Region List where Default Thru Instrument is assigned to, say, Xpand! AC Grand Piano, poor example, but I think you can see where this is heading, and previewing, say, GM Drum Grooves and excuse me for going off on a tangent, but whilst we're on the subject of previewing MIDI data in the Region List, what doesn't make it easier however is this lack of retained metadata, unless you either consolidate or rename the region, all you have to go by is MIDI-133 for instance, what? I mean, I don't know what that is, do you.

Anyways, correct output assigning is the dilemma, how is this to be done?

filosofem
Old 06-09-2008, 07:17 PM

So your saying that a midi file could have extra metadata in it that associates it with an instrument regardless of what the default one is. That would make sense and save time. As you know, if it's your own track, naming it early on and with good track notes at the bottom of the mix window would always clue you in to what midi device/vi to use...but if it's someone's session to mix, I can see where trying to find the right assignment for midi file 133 and all the others would be a drag. (pun intended) But if it's not your session and someone has assigned a midi track to a VI that you don't have, then you're hoping they made an audio track of it.

It would be cool if sysex data or something like that could link your midi track to a particular instrument output.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:36 PM

Quote:
So your saying that a midi file could have extra metadata in it that associates it with an instrument regardless of what the default one is.
As far as I can currently work out, technically yes, but here's where the problem lies, because the SMF specification is so flexible, third party MIDI files containing non-MIDI data (Meta Event) are lost through exchange, for example, Track Name or File Name created in another sequencer, imported from Workspace displays something different, in fact, sometimes Markers are created displaying this meta event data. Again, because the SMF spec is so loose Pro Tools for agrument sakes could translate Track Name to be a Marker or a Key Signature. In fact, Pro Tools translates B Flat Minor meta event created in MCT as it's Relative Major - D Flat, though this may not be a consequence of Pro Tools.

So you can see the difficulty faced by manufacturers a like when dealing with SMF/MIDI specifications, oxymoronic as it may seem, given the principled philosophy of unification.

What's not excusable however are SMF's created in our very own beloved host. Where Meta Events (SMF) stored for future reference are no where to be seen. To be fair, a SMF spec is still a SMF spec.

Native .rgrp (Region Group File Format). Digidesign's very own proprietary format that doesn't store Meta Event data (Channel Assignments, etc.,) but stores 'shelled' MIDI Event data, Continuous Controller, Program Change, SysEx, etc., and related Audio Meta Data, Region Name, Track Name, etc., but here's the kicker, where's the A.I.R. Virtual Instrument Meta Data/Meta Event DigiBase (Database) integration?

Here could be a prime example where 'shelled' MIDI Regions could be previewed in either the Region List or DigiBase Browsers with it's appropiate sound via indexed A.I.R. sample content. In other words, MIDI Regions tagged with A.I.R. Virtual Instrument Meta Event data would source it's appropiate sound from the Digidesign Database. So when you go to preview a MIDI Region in the Region List whether tagged as a drum groove or a piano phrase the corresponding data is then searched and auditioned.

Though with all this bouncing of ideas, Workspace SMF previewing still might have to suffice with 'Default Thru Instrument'. With correct file management, switching Structure Patches or Xpand! Patches is something I could live with.

filosofem