Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 09-28-2017, 09:09 AM

Default Re: Master faders question

Adjusting all of your tracks by the same amount would work if the farders are all already set to the same level (0dB for instance).

But because the dB is logarithmic, if your faders are different levels (most likely), you can easily ruin the balance of your mix by doing this.

For instance, if channel 1 is set at -23dB, and channel 2 is set at -4dB (proper gain staging would usually not allow for there to be such a huge difference in your tracks, but for argument's sake...) then turning each down by 1dB would change the balance between them. the difference between -23dB and -24dB is less than the difference between -4dB and -5dB.

Hence a vca fader. The VCA fader will essentially raise or lower all tracks in a group so that the overall level of the tracks change but the balance between them remains the same.
Old 09-28-2017, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglesworth View Post
Adjusting all of your tracks by the same amount would work if the farders are all already set to the same level (0dB for instance).

But because the dB is logarithmic, if your faders are different levels (most likely), you can easily ruin the balance of your mix by doing this.

For instance, if channel 1 is set at -23dB, and channel 2 is set at -4dB (proper gain staging would usually not allow for there to be such a huge difference in your tracks, but for argument's sake...) then turning each down by 1dB would change the balance between them. the difference between -23dB and -24dB is less than the difference between -4dB and -5dB.

Hence a vca fader. The VCA fader will essentially raise or lower all tracks in a group so that the overall level of the tracks change but the balance between them remains the same.
thank you for stating this .. you beat me to it !!!

and i will be your neighbor soon .. moving to woodland hills .. now back to regular scheduled program !! haha

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 09-28-2017, 09:26 AM

To me it's easier to route my "mix" through an AUX and the Aux goes to the Master Fader. I place any "whole Mix" plug-ins on the AUX and if I need to do a fade it's done on that Aux track.
Old 09-28-2017, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlone View Post
To me it's easier to route my "mix" through an AUX and the Aux goes to the Master Fader. I place any "whole Mix" plug-ins on the AUX and if I need to do a fade it's done on that Aux track.
YES!
If the OP has everything going thru a aux (and he said so), it's as easy as that.
I don't understand why everyone is making a big deal.
Old 09-28-2017, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
YES!
If the OP has everything going thru a aux (and he said so), it's as easy as that.
I don't understand why everyone is making a big deal.
Because the OP's aux is what's clipping and turning down the fader on that aux won't remove the distortion that is happening on it before the fader. They are trying to figure out how to make that aux stop clipping.
Old 09-28-2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Because the OP's aux is what's clipping and turning down the fader on that aux won't remove the distortion that is happening on it before the fader. They are trying to figure out how to make that aux stop clipping.
Well, it's blinking red on its meter, and that will stop when he pulls back the fader. I bet there is no real distortion, the PT mixer can handle a few red blinks now and then. A master fader should never clip, though.
Old 09-28-2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
Well, it's blinking red on its meter, and that will stop when he pulls back the fader. I bet there is no real distortion, the PT mixer can handle a few red blinks now and then. A master fader should never clip, though.
What you describe would only be true if he has Pre-fader metering off. And even then, getting rid of the red light does not necessarily mean you get rid of the actual problem. If you have Pre-fader metering on, then pulling the fader back would not get rid of the red light.
Old 09-28-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
If you have Pre-fader metering on, then pulling the fader back would not get rid of the red light.
A master fader for the final output (interface) would.

Edit: bad wording. I meant, a master fader for the final output would reflect the attenuation and not clip anymore. With pre fader metering on.
Old 09-28-2017, 01:03 PM

correct, but the OP's issue is that he is running his stereo buss through an aux and that aux is clipping.
Old 09-28-2017, 01:07 PM

Quote:
correct, but the OP's issue is that he is running his stereo buss through an aux and that aux is clipping.
And my point is; it's not a problem, he can just pull back the aux fader.